• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield Bolt

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
Below is a diagram that shows a bolt which I broke, while trying to remove my manifold heat shield on the passenger side. The bolt I am referencing in the diagram is at the very bottom of the picture on the right hand side. I am hoping the only function of the bolt is to hold the heat shield in place. Can anyone verify if that is the only purpose of this bolt? I plan on trying to extract, but I would like to know how big a problem I have.

Thanks for any help.

Rob

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 78

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Yes the heat shield is all it attaches. The only other thing I have seen bolted there was a dipstick but most bronco dipsticks attach to one of the larger exhaust port bolts so it must have been something other than original.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Yes it's the shield bolt. It's only about 1/4" diameter and about the same length.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Fortunately its the passengers side exhaust manifold. Go to the wrecking yard and get another one. most of the 70's ford 302 had that same manifold. The drivers side is much tougher as there was a variety of manifolds used through the different car lines.

If you are game take off the manifold and drill out the broken bolt and re-tap. The threaded hole is a through hole and not blind.

http://www.mustangtek.com/exhaust/D1OE-9430-CB.html

OP
OP
Show Links

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
Thanks, I think I'll finish up the final restoration projects, return to the manifold and drill out the bolt as you suggested. Thanks for taking the time to include the pic showing the bolt as a through hole. Very helpful and relieving.
Rob