• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco and stoplights

cag33

Anybody else have problems with stoplights? I can sit through cycle after cycle without getting a light in my direction. Anything to help trip the light?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never had that problem in any bronco. Are you lifted extra extra high and on big tires?
Where are located?

The only trouble I’ve ever had is seeing the lights! My head sits at the top of the windshield!

Hultzger

Loc.
Martinez
Make sure you stop over the loop detector, the rectangle that’s been installed in the pavement. It doesn’t detect weight, it’s detecting a change in the magnetic field that’s going through the embedded wires.

Your Bronco, unlike a motorcycle or bicycle, is plenty big enough to be detected. I’ve contacted public works in the past when there’s a problem like with a signal. And they actually sent maintenance out to fix it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for reminding me. Been meaning to contact them about a particular strip that seems to not be detecting at the moment. But it's not just the Bronco in this case, but everything I drive.

paul

Timstrk

Often times they are replaced with new sensors/detectors further back from the light. That way it takes a line of cars to trip the light. Stop on the furthest one back, I know it looks stupid, but it fools the light.

Green_Bastard

Often times they are replaced with new sensors/detectors further back from the light. That way it takes a line of cars to trip the light. Stop on the furthest one back, I know it looks stupid, but it fools the light.

Years back I knew a guy that worked with these. He said the front one needed to be triggered first before the one further back would trigger. He would actually pull up to the front one and then back up to the secondary real quick. I don’t know how accurate his info was but I can say it worked every time he did it when I rode with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPerry

This made me chuckle... As I have wore out a good pair of boots rolling back n forth on my street glide, to the point where I just go due to aggravation!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Most of them around here are now camera based. The city engineer is always out adjusting them.

OP
OP
C

cag33

I'm in Brentwood CA and almost all the lights don't trigger unless somebody comes in behind me. Like early in the am when I am going out I'll wait a couple and then just go. Maybe I need to call somebody in the city maintenance.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I have learned which lights in my area don't "see" my Bronco and I now try to avoid them. One in particular, if I forget and I get stuck, I either have to wait for someone to come up behind me, or do an illegal maneuver to get out of the perpetual wait. I admit that I've ended up "running" that particular red light more than once. Most others I can do a right turn on red, go a few extra blocks out of my way, and all's well.
I will try it again soon now that my rig is a little lower. Maybe it will now be seen... dunno.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a pleasant surprise a couple of days ago. Sent in two separate "complaints" (really just info notices from me) to the city of San Jose about two separate traffic signals getting wonky on me.
I drive a lot locally and know which lights do what and when, so get pretty ticked when any of them don't act normal. One particular turn lane in the evenings does not trip no matter which vehicle I'm driving, and no matter how many cars line up. We either wait until someone in an adjacent lane or direction trips the signal, or someone gets tired of waiting and moves over a lane.
The surprise came when I got a personal reply about an hour later (not a canned automated reply) that they would look into both complaints that night! They said their temporary measure (rather than an ultimate solution) would be to change the timing on the light so that even the minor side street went on timer rather than demand mode. Sure enough, went that way the same night and because I can see it way down the road as I approach noted that it was indeed turning green for people. Not instantly, but within a certain time.
Nice!

Now if they can "fix" that other one (literally one of the top-3 worst intersections in the county for years) I'll be a happy, but shocked camper.
Ok, side-rant over.

Paul

Hultzger

Loc.
Martinez
I had a pleasant surprise a couple of days ago. Sent in two separate "complaints" (really just info notices from me) to the city of San Jose about two separate traffic signals getting wonky on me.
I drive a lot locally and know which lights do what and when, so get pretty ticked when any of them don't act normal. One particular turn lane in the evenings does not trip no matter which vehicle I'm driving, and no matter how many cars line up. We either wait until someone in an adjacent lane or direction trips the signal, or someone gets tired of waiting and moves over a lane.
The surprise came when I got a personal reply about an hour later (not a canned automated reply) that they would look into both complaints that night! They said their temporary measure (rather than an ultimate solution) would be to change the timing on the light so that even the minor side street went on timer rather than demand mode. Sure enough, went that way the same night and because I can see it way down the road as I approach noted that it was indeed turning green for people. Not instantly, but within a certain time.
Nice!

Now if they can "fix" that other one (literally one of the top-3 worst intersections in the county for years) I'll be a happy, but shocked camper.
Ok, side-rant over.

Paul

Good for you Paul. Idk why, but signal maintenance is one of the most responsive govt departments out there.

Rick

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks for reminding me. Been meaning to contact them about a particular strip that seems to not be detecting at the moment. But it's not just the Bronco in this case, but everything I drive.

Hurry up.. :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Anybody else have problems with stoplights? I can sit through cycle after cycle without getting a light in my direction. Anything to help trip the light?

got to hit that road beam just right. I've ALWAYs rolled forward, backwards if not too much traffic around hhaha

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
there is one light in my neighborhood that always does it with my bronco. 2 cycles and i'm still waiting. i try to avoid it if no traffic behind me or let the vehicle past me before i get to stop light so their vehicle will trigger the loop sensor.. bronco on 37"s

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
yup I go through this at one particular light and only in my Bronco (my other cars trip the lights fine). I have to wait for someone to come up behind me for the light to change. I have tried everything from backing up and rolling forward, over shooting, undershooting etc. Worst part is its the light on the street the gas station I use is on so I'm there a lot!
33's with 2.5" lift so nothing radical..

armynavy17

Contributor
Is there a cross walk? Obviously it's not too busy if a raid, get out and hit the crosswalk button?

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Is there a cross walk? Obviously it's not too busy if a raid, get out and hit the crosswalk button?
its a three way stop light with my light being a left hand turn signal to get on main road. Now that road is a 55 mph speed limit so running the light is not a good idea. It's only busy during morning and afternoon commute and during different off commute hours it's very slow so you can wait a LONG time.
I've actually turned right and made a quick, illegal u-turn instead of having to wait for someone else to come up behind me.
No big deal, it is what it is. Not going to leave my truck to hit a crosswalk button. Too old for that.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Interesting enough several of ours when it's dark if you hit your high beams they change. Doesn't matter what I'm driving. Truck and trailer or grocery getter.

If no one is coming I do it a ways before. One last night took about 15 seconds to change for my turn light.