• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Garage New Videos at YouTube

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even though the holes were generally slotted for making more precise adjustments, they were offset just enough to where a six bolt version would not work on a five bolt spindle and vice versa.
Not to mention the diameters are completely different between the two spindles anyway. Maybe the slots allow multiple bolt counts after all, but the size difference dictates their use no matter what.

I still have a vintage set of Duff aluminum ones that I might get rid of someday. They won’t work on my five bolt spindles and my six bolt spindles don’t need them.

Have you checked with Duff lately to see if they still carry them?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice… So they just don’t exist anymore?
Would definitely be nice to find out somebody was reproducing them.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Nice… So they just don’t exist anymore?
Would definitely be nice to find out somebody was reproducing them.
I still don't understand Paul.

The 2 different steering knuckles have completely different diameter holes in the middle. So I still don't understand how that shim could work on both.
I mean it has slotted holes but that won't matter between drum and disc Ford knuckles.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree and it’s what I was saying before. I’ve seen the different colored ones, but if somebody had somehow figured out a way to make them work on both, more power to them!

I didn’t follow the previous link and I should have. Instead of assuming it showed something unusual.
I just did and realize it’s just showing a standard shim. And the one pictured should only fit one style of knuckle.

The only ones I’ve ever seen were for specific bolt counts and diameters, as you’re saying. But I wasn’t there when Mike swapped one off of a 6 bolt spindle on to a 5 bolt spindle, so I can’t say what was being used.
Do you still happen to have that 76 bronco Mike?

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Yes, I still have the '76 front end under the '75. If they only fit 6 bolt drum knuckles they would only need 6 holes. With the multiple holes they will work with either bolt count.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
IMG_0066.jpg

Found one in my parts box

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Multiple holes is not always just for multiple bolt patterns, but might also fit multiple positions to allow for some fine tuning by rotating it slightly. But the same bolt pattern diameter doesn’t count for Ford spindles because the five bolt and six bolt spindles have different size center registers and, I believe but have not measured, a different bolt circle as well.
Which is what has us confused about using the same shim on both types.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can’t see the picture from here. Maybe it’s my phone or maybe it’s because you’re not a contributor so can’t post directly to that page. You could try uploading it to your garage or gallery maybe?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know there were some that fit multiple vehicles, but didn’t know there were some that can fit both five and six bolt Fords.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Each type of spindle needs its own shim because of the large difference in diameters between the two. There isn't one that works with both. You either have the type that works with the 6 bolt drum brake spindle or you have one that works with the 5 bolt disc spindle. I used to find them a lot when I tore apart a lot of front ends for backing plates and spindles back in the day. The 6 bolt spindle versions were, until recently, still available - they may still be. The 5 bolt versions for the disc knuckles were discontinued years ago. I was fortunate to get a set of the adjustable ones for the 5 bolt spindles from a generous member here - they replaced the offset balljoint bushings in my truck.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry for the slight shift temporarily to another track there Monster Mike and everyone. Was all related, but didn't mean to hijack Monster Mike's video thread. If we need to discuss the whole camber shim subject I'm sure there will be plenty of life left for another thread.

Carry on!

Paul

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
All good - If these were still an easy part to come by I'd consider doing a video on them. But since they don't really exist anymore I believe we'll concentrate our efforts elsewhere for the time being.

I hope everyone had a fantastic NEW YEAR!

Here's another video we recently released that covers the New James Duff SS Dominator Headers. These new headers have a ton of upgrades over the classic Duffy Longtubes Including:

• GT40P Compatibility
  • Full Stainless Construction, Built by Kooks in the USA
  • Ball and Socket Flange
  • o2 bungs for EFI conversions

These headers are available with a matching full stainless exhaust as well.

Read more about the headers -

https://dufftuff.com/product/stainless-long-tube-headers-efi-compatible-1966-77-bronco/?dta=1

Check out the entire system here -

https://dufftuff.com/product/customizable-mandrel-bent-stainless-dual-exhaust-1966-75-bronco/?dta=1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
All good - If these were still an easy part to come by I'd consider doing a video on them. But since they don't really exist anymore I believe we'll concentrate our efforts elsewhere for the time being.

I hope everyone had a fantastic NEW YEAR!

Here's another video we recently released that covers the New James Duff SS Dominator Headers. These new headers have a ton of upgrades over the classic Duffy Longtubes Including:

• GT40P Compatibility
  • Full Stainless Construction, Built by Kooks in the USA
  • Ball and Socket Flange
  • o2 bungs for EFI conversions

These headers are available with a matching full stainless exhaust as well.

Read more about the headers -

https://dufftuff.com/product/stainless-long-tube-headers-efi-compatible-1966-77-bronco/?dta=1

Check out the entire system here -

https://dufftuff.com/product/customizable-mandrel-bent-stainless-dual-exhaust-1966-75-bronco/?dta=1

Same to you brother...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Sorry for the slight shift temporarily to another track there Monster Mike and everyone. Was all related, but didn't mean to hijack Monster Mike's video thread. If we need to discuss the whole camber shim subject I'm sure there will be plenty of life left for another thread.

Carry on!

haha......

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Multiple holes is not always just for multiple bolt patterns, but might also fit multiple positions to allow for some fine tuning by rotating it slightly. But the same bolt pattern diameter doesn’t count for Ford spindles because the five bolt and six bolt spindles have different size center registers and, I believe but have not measured, a different bolt circle as well.
Which is what has us confused about using the same shim on both types.

most certainly....

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Sitting here wishing I was out wheeling instead of building Bronco parts for a change!

We really need to get hi-ho-loco out for to stretch her legs. I don't think she's seen the sun since April. :( We did however get @englewoodcowboy out and brought hi-ho-silver out at Super Celebration West last year! Perhaps we'll have to get another group together for next year? I was really impressed to see how well this 2.5" suspension did at Chinaman Gulch.

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
A little behind on this post but hey here goes nothing.

New tech video up for all of you that like shiny new parts!

This Tank checks all the boxes for issues that have plagued the large capacity aftermarket rear gas tanks.

Unbox video: A recap for all that have not watched.

Install video:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
A little behind on this post but hey here goes nothing.

New tech video up for all of you that like shiny new parts!

This Tank checks all the boxes for issues that have plagued the large capacity aftermarket rear gas tanks.

Unbox video: A recap for all that have not watched.

Install video:

We forgive you brother...