• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco lean or tweaked body???

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
You may have a little suspension tweek too, its tough to get those radius arms right sometimes.

Here is what I would do:
Do you have a body lift on it? If so I'd take the pass side lift block and sand a 1/4" off it then shim the driver side with 2 washers and see how that looks before torquing everything down. If that fender and mount was tweeked at one point (arent they all? ;D ) it should be the only thing off and you shouldnt need to shim the rest but if the door gaps get off a little (you can do amazing things with door gaps by shimming those body mounts!!!!) you might want to throw a washer in the floor mount on that side also. Be sure when you start messing with the shimming that you loosen the next set of mounts up so you dont put stress and concave the other body mounts.

If you dont have a body lift I might still shave some material off the top of the pass side bushing still but otherwise you will need 1 or 2 more washers on the driver. You wont need a whole half inch or whatever the gap is since when you raise the driver side the pass will go down a tad too. I'd say 3/8" would do it. If you put the washers on the top under the core support no one will ever know (painting them black helps too). When I took my red one apart I found shims in several, especially the driver front where it had been wrecked.

I'd fix the body mount issue and you may feel a lot better about its stance. Then worry about the supension later if it still feels/looks off. But 1/2" isnt bad and probably you wont notice it much when you are done with shimming the body.

One other note, is that if you turn in to park, the suspension can bind a little and will cause a lean as well. You should see it with a spool!!! To get a good judge be sure you have driven straight a little ways.

Sorry for the Book ;D

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Loc.
SoCal
so i decided to take the front end apart again and sure enough i have the lean. my passenger side radius arm sits off the ground 1/2". i have tried loosening and tightening each side about 5 times each and nothing is changing, what the hell am i doing wrong??? what can i do to even out the radius arms???

here is a pic:
lean.jpg

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
You just need to keep at it, tighten each up a little at a time, maybe even try over correcting the other side to make it come even. Make sure to spray some lithium grease in there to allow them to seat easily too.

rednck21

since youve got this far, id take everything back apart, gease all the bushings and reassemble.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Loc.
SoCal
since youve got this far, id take everything back apart, gease all the bushings and reassemble.

i did that last night 3 times but it still won't change anything. i am 1/2" off on the pass side no matter how i tighten everything. i need HELP!!! i don't know what else to do.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I assume you are tightening the radius arm caps untill the bottom out?
Are you able to alternate tightening the top and bottom bolts and get the arms to move up and down?
In order for me to get my arms parallel, I had to leave the driver side cap a hair looser than the pass side. The end result was about a 1/16" gap at the bottom of the drivers side cap to get them to be parallel.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Did you put a level on your jackstands and make sure they are level? Did you make sure the floor is level at the ends of the radius arms? It wont take much to throw it all off.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Loc.
SoCal
flash - i tried 2 sets of jackstands and put the front end in a few different places on the floor and they all had the same outcome.

69er - i am bottoming them all the way out, IS IT OK TO LEAVE A LITTLE GAP??? because i can get them to move all over the place but when i get them all the way tight that is when they are always off.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
flash - i tried 2 sets of jackstands and put the front end in a few different places on the floor and they all had the same outcome.

69er - i am bottoming them all the way out, IS IT OK TO LEAVE A LITTLE GAP??? because i can get them to move all over the place but when i get them all the way tight that is when they are always off.

I had the same result as you, every time I bottomed them out, they go to the same place. I've left a gap with no problems. I suppose if you are concerned about bolt tightness you could measure the gap and make a shim to fit in there so you could tighten the bolts further.

cakedude

Loc.
Friendswood/houston,
PBR,

I think everyone has struggled with the c-bushing puzzle at one time or another, myself included. Here is what I did to get them level. First, I put the tires back on the hubs and put jack stands under the axle tubes. All this really does is keep the axle housing from raising up off the jack stands. Next, find someone to either push up or pull down on the radius arms in the direction you need them to move as you tighten everything up. You can get alot of leverage on the ends of the radius arms. You should be able to get them really close this way. I hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Grant

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
only thing i can really add is make sure your bushings are in correct, top,bottom,front back.

Big D

PBR,
About 3 weeks ago I started a thread about the very problem you have right now. Everything you have mentioned, sounds just like me. No matter what I tried, nothing worked. Two members on this board told me they took one C bushing off and installed it backwards, and that actually worked for them. I was on vacation for two weeks, and just this morning did I tear down my front end to try this. If that doesn' work then I'm going to buy some new C bushings. I know for sure there has to be a problem C bushing. I used to run 4* C bushings, and never had a problem. Then, I changed to 7* and it's leaned ever since. Keep us posted and I'll let you know this weekend about what happened when I switch one of the C bushings.

Doug

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Loc.
SoCal
just an update - so i took the entire front end off and couldn't figure out how to get out the lean. well after all of your ideas and information i finally got it!!! i had my fat a$$ wife (just kidding) stand on one radius arm to lower it and that brought it down about 1/4". so then i had her stand on the same arm with a block under the other one and loosened that one up to bring it up a little. well after 2 trys i got it even!!! i got the front end back together and much less lean. i still think my body/frame is a little tweaked but i am much happier and now i will be able to sleep at night.

thanks again for everyone's help, i really appreciate it.