• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Lean/Tilt

kungfooo

I can see the space between the frame and the radius arm is tighter on the side that is leaning. Would it work if I loosen the cap on the radius arm for the side that is leaning and use a jack or a wedge to equal out the gap and then tighten it back up?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It might, but it's not guaranteed. In fact, not all Broncos lean due to "Bronco Lean" either.
But you never know until you start digging in and trying things. Springs sag, rear springs as well, since they can effect the front through the radius arms.
The C-bushings could be crooked/shifted, which is what you're talking about with the radius arm caps. But once shifted and locked down for any length of time, they may have taken a permanent set.
And I would not even rule out a crooked frame construction, since that has been proven to be the case many times. At least in very minor leanings anyway.
Coil spring towers welded on crooked. Coil spring cups sagged/bent/rusted over time.
Radius arm mounts welded on at different angles/heights.
That kind of stuff.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
K

kungfooo

Are you telling me the guys at Ford did not get out their calipers when they were building these back then? I think they allowed beer at lunch back in the 70s.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hah! Yep, that's what I'm sayin' was going on. Poor little orphan utility vehicle back then didn't get the love that some other stuff did. But now look who gets the last laugh (current version) after all.

By the time all of us are through with them nowadays, all those little imperfections have been weeded out slowly but surely.

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
No, the problem wasn't lunch. It was well known that Monday builds were questionable because of weekend caused hangovers. Friday builds were done by workers planning the weekend. Both days products were to be avoided.
My high school automotive class did a field trip to the Chevy plant in Janesville, Wis. in '66. I saw things that will never allow me to buy a Chevy. Ford and Chrysler plants are likely the same. I just didn't witness them. A trip to a Hormel plant in '58 keeps me from ever buying Spam. It's better not to see how the sausage is made.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 2013 jeep stock leaned about 1/4 inch

To me leaning is a feature.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A trip to a Hormel plant in '58 keeps me from ever buying Spam. It's better not to see how the sausage is made.

Ugh. I can only imagine.
My favorite "meat" (meat-ish?) product is Scrapple. Which I've convinced myself got it's name from the scrap they sweep up off the factory floor and put together with some sort of breading into a package and sell it on to people like me.
But it's so good, I intend to keep ignoring the possibilities.

And it suits my "CA green" sentiment. Recycle and re-use baby!

Paul

724x4bronco

So I heard a story from an old timer, his buddy bought a brand new Caddy back in the late 60,s and from the day he drove it off the lot it had a weird rattling noise coming from inside the door. He took the car to his local repair shop, they pulled the door panel and inside the door was an empty beer can. Not sure how they were sneaking beer into the plant, or if the story is a myth, but it still does make you think lol.

NewDog

Contributor
Loc.
Surrey BC
Years ago I read a story in Mustang Monthly about a guy who restored his Stang that he'd had since new, it was a 65 or so IIRC. Anyway,when he pulled off the rear quarter panels he found an old Ford-branded coffee cup and what looked to be the remains of a doughnut wrapper shoved down inside there. For quality control I guess. Anyway, he kept 'em as part of the restoration story.