• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BRONCO!!! Obsession or Passion

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
My wife says my Bronco is an Obsession I say it is a passion. What does your better half say of yours?

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Some of the most fun I've had is watching guys jaws drop when my wife tells me things I need to buy for it. Told her I needed gears and lockers while we were wheeling last weekend. Then said I might as well upgrade the axles at the same time. She says well if you don't do it now you'll regret it. Guys were looking at each other in disbelief. "Man I wish my wife would say stuff like that".

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
My wife is very understanding, but no matter how much money or how shiney my new parts or tools she just says "That's Nice". I LOVE my Bronco...it was my Dad's so that makes it more special.

ORVP

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
Man my wife let me tell ya a short story.

I had a newer ranger just a plain 2 wheel drive LM ranger. A friend turned me on to a guy who had the bronco I now own. So I paid 3,000 for my bronco the deal was I could sell my ranger then and take the money an put it back into the bronco. So I sell the Ranger for 10,000 put 3,000 back into the bank to cover the cost of my bronco. Its better than that I had the ranger and bronco for about 3 months. In that time went through the entire bronco replacing many many parts spent the remaining 7,000 all into parts pieces ect. all for the bronco. Trust me she has all the reciepts ?:? So now that I have a safe driving bronco suitable as a daily driver.

Ok, the thing that changed her mind we were camping with some friends. Everyone wants to go to the swimming hole my bud's and myself wanted to ride our MTB's to the hole. Great MTB trails technical. Anyway my wife says she did not want to take he mini van down the really bad roads. OK the roads really sucked. I told here I would put the bronco in low and she could just putt up the road. No problem she is in the drivers seat I start and put in 2nd and watch her cruize up the road. We left on our bikes and when we get to the hole we hear the kidds and other adults laughing really hard. Well my wonderfull wife pulled up the the small parking area and proceeded to drive right over the 3' log installed for folks to park against. Too funny she was used to her automatic minivan and forgot that you have to also have push in the clutch. Opps no damage scared the crap out of the kids all was over and my ok our bronco was already back over the log adn parked. She was afraid I was going to be mad. I dont think I have ever laughed so hard after that she see's what I enjoy about getting out and pushing the your and your vehicle' limits.

Six years later I am still married to both. Last time we were talking she does not even consider the bronco a vehicle its my big boy toy. Married 17 years now and we have not killed each other.

OP
OP
Flash69

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Good Story ORVP. Im sure there are more guys on here to give their Tales or input of what their better half thinks of their Bronco.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
What do I call my Bronco??
The money pit
HER
My pet project
the test bed
my hobby.
Many metaphors that cant be written here

Would I sell her??
Not while my wife has anything to say!! If I tried to sell "Cricket" the howl would be heard at BCBroncos.

TOFIC

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
My better half is pretty much accepting of my other better half (my '77). When I went to get my first bronco she said "are you sure?" and of course I said Hell Yea..

It was a pretty easy sell job actually. I just told her that I had wanted one of these for a long time and was willing to give up other hobbies to get it. Little did I know I would have to give up my favorite hobbie (Fishing boat!). But that's ok because it was well worth.

The other day she floored me when I said I saw another restore project in the future ('76). She actually said "Ok Dear, whatever you want". So either she is planning my demise or was not listening. %)

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
I don't know, I'm kinda scared to ask my wife. she me get on to me about how much I have been spending on the ol pony in the garage.

But if I had to guess what she'd say: she'd ask me "Well how much money have you spent on it this year???" And I'm kinda afraid to give her the answer. soooooo its prolly an obsession (those usually mean your going to get introuble later).

Flash69 said:
My wife says my Bronco is an Obsession I say it is a passion. What does your better half say of yours?
She didn't want me to get it (my 77) at first because it meant trading it straight up to somebody for my 89 Mustang.

She now realizes who the smart one in the family is. ;D

Coob said:
The other day she floored me when I said I saw another restore project in the future ('76). She actually said "Ok Dear, whatever you want". So either she is planning my demise or was not listening. %)
Coob,
You might want to check and make sure you don't have any new life insurance policies taken out on your behalf.

Just watchin' out for 'ya ;D

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
Flash69 said:

I try pretty hard to keep things balanced and not neglect my wife or kids. I just asked her and she said that it's still a passion and hasn't become an obsession. Guess I'm doing OK.

Broncos - It's a fine line between hobby and mental disorder. ;D

OP
OP
Flash69

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
sfaforester said:
I don't know, I'm kinda scared to ask my wife. she me get on to me about how much I have been spending on the ol pony in the garage.

But if I had to guess what she'd say: she'd ask me "Well how much money have you spent on it this year???" And I'm kinda afraid to give her the answer. soooooo its prolly an obsession (those usually mean your going to get introuble later).
Yea ive not added up my receips in a while so when mine asks i just give an off the wall figure. I dont know what ive spent. Mine flogs me sometimes and then other times she could care less what i spend. Mixed Signals.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
My wife is fairly understanding about how much time/money I spend on it - but hates how much I talk about it. Her Dad just got done with a frame-off resto of his '77. We live in the same town as he does, so we see him all the time. That is all we ever talk about. It kind of drives my wife nuts. ;)

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
If my wife ever said "something has got to go, me or the Bronco you deciede."

I'd have to say "I'm going to miss you."

;D

jon705

Passion or Obsession

I only spend time in the garage when the kids are sleeping and my wife is working so it's not an obsession yet in my opinion.

However, I know my wife doesn't like the project and looks for moments when she can accuse me of loving the Bronco more than her. Such as last weekend when she said "You'd pay more attention to me if I had Ford stamped on my forehead." I silently agreed but kept my mouth shut. :-X That, and she has told me from the minute I started looking at Broncos: "I will never ride in it." It is now my goal in life to restore it to a showroom shine and wave to her and the line of gawking neighbors as the kids and I drive down the road. ;D Maybe she can twist my arm to let her sit in the passenger seat. We'll see.