• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Safari 2011, May 1-8

RT

Bronco Guru
Two Weeks!
We have a new leader on the farthest to travel that's going to be hard to beat!
1930 miles from NC.

See you in Moab!
-Steve

Hope they have overdrive in that Bronco , I know I sure could use it !! I thought I was going to have it in too !

Sorry to say, but the drunken Canadians will not be in attendance, bit off more than I could chew and little shit just keeps popping up. One of my sayings is if you gonna half ass it, why even bother trying. We have said we'll be locked and loaded for 2012 for sure.

Aww ,,PhantomEB , come on down anyways , my first trip out was to the 35'th with a broken rear diif that I thought just had a lot of play in it %)
But still had fun !
See ya all soon !!

Last edited:

My69Pony

So, I think I have things worked out to be able to make the safari, but here is my dilemma. I have not been to Moab in many years; in fact the last time I was there I was in my teens, now I have teens of my own. My Bronco may look capable, but looks might just be deceiving. I have an old 3” super lift with a 2” body lift. I’m running 35” tires with 3.50 gears with a locker of some sort in the original D30 frontend with an open rear and the stock 3-speed. I’m also running a 351w so the power is there, but sometimes going slow is not greatest thing in the world. I would like to run Hell’s Revenge, Golden Spike, and Poison Spider, am I completely insane? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Brian

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
You should be fine on all those trails. Just take it easy with the D30 and watch your lines. A winch might not be a bad thing if you have one. Have fun.

OP
OP
sstclair

sstclair

So, I think I have things worked out to be able to make the safari, but here is my dilemma. I have not been to Moab in many years; in fact the last time I was there I was in my teens, now I have teens of my own. My Bronco may look capable, but looks might just be deceiving. I have an old 3” super lift with a 2” body lift. I’m running 35” tires with 3.50 gears with a locker of some sort in the original D30 frontend with an open rear and the stock 3-speed. I’m also running a 351w so the power is there, but sometimes going slow is not greatest thing in the world. I would like to run Hell’s Revenge, Golden Spike, and Poison Spider, am I completely insane? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Brian

Congratulations on getting that ready!

The big thing I'd recommend is you get there early enough in the week that we can take you up to run Fins and Things so you get used to your setup without much risk. I'd say that the Spike would be iffy. Most people won't do it without a least a rear locker. Your front limited slip (that's a guess) will help but there are big steps on that trail and it won't take much wheel spin to break axles.

Do Hell's revenge for sure, and I bet you'll really like Poison Spider.

See you in Moab!
-Steve

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
Brian

The trails depend on your skills as much as your Bronco. You can run Hell's Revenge w/out much trouble. Poison Spider is doable, but there is the waterfall that you need to get up. Depending on weather and trail conditions, it can be done. Again, depending on your driving skills, I can't say anything about Golden Spike. There are spots that you would probably need a winch or tug at the least. I would suggest bring spare axles & U-joints, if you have them, for the D30. W/ a locker up front, you will be stressing the D30 u-joints and shafts. See everyone SOON!!!!;D;D;D

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
I am ready for a VACATION... The camper is loaded and the truck has a full (expensive) tank of diesel.... Will be ready to get out of here next Sat.!

OP
OP
sstclair

sstclair

I am ready for a VACATION... The camper is loaded and the truck has a full (expensive) tank of diesel.... Will be ready to get out of here next Sat.!

Only one week to go! I just checked the 10 day forecast and it says sunny with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s.

See you in Moab!

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
im not sure if i will be there... the efi is still giving me problems :cry:

and im not sure if the mustang will make it... i have the time off work and would love to come down and at least ride with someone...:-[

when my bro get's back from the jeep safari we are going to bust out my cage ;D

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
well, my brother inlaw said i gould take his 4runner but i need to vix the oil leak on his other truck before i can...

and i just bought a set of bead locks i couldn't pass up %)

seems im more of a builder then a off roader :-[

anyone want a ride along mechanic??? ;D

now if only this was how i would be getting down there....life would be sweet!
100_0371.jpg

100_0372.jpg

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
My rig is starting to look like that, and will be ready Thurs. Cleaned out the camper today, added fresh linens and started the grocery list.... getting closer.....

OP
OP
sstclair

sstclair

My rig is starting to look like that, and will be ready Thurs. Cleaned out the camper today, added fresh linens and started the grocery list.... getting closer.....
I wouldn't know what to do if I wasn't still turning wrenches until midnight the day before I leave.
And yes, I know I am a procrastinator and think about working on my problem all the time. I just never get around to it.

See you in Moab!

nmgearguy

Be there Sunday before dark with wife and pup in tow. Can't wait to see how the o'l bronc does.

Anyone else running a carb? I may have to dial her rich a bit coming from 8600'. From what little I can tell it looks like a bunch of folks running EFI.

OP
OP
sstclair

sstclair

Be there Sunday before dark with wife and pup in tow. Can't wait to see how the o'l bronc does.

Anyone else running a carb? I may have to dial her rich a bit coming from 8600'. From what little I can tell it looks like a bunch of folks running EFI.

I bet the mix is still close to 50/50 on carbs /efi. Most of the trails start at about 4500', it'll be interesting to see how it runs for you. I bet you are surprised how good it does.

We'll be down Sunday mid day.

See you in Moab!

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
See you on Monday afternoon. Drive safe.

Any fire wood needed for a evening at the campsite?

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
wish i could be there with you guy's....

everyone stay safe and be sure to tell sstclair thanks! he put a crap load of work into making this happen! :cool:

OP
OP
sstclair

sstclair

It was a good day in Moab. The carnage began before I got here. A roll, a broken dana 60 shaft and a some steering box bolts.