• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Steel Wheel Question (Steelies)

Lancer29

Wondering if anyone can help me answer a couple questions about wheels I just picked up.

I am wondering if they will work on my 77 with front disc brakes. As far as I know the originals came with either a 15x5.5 wheel or an option for 16" wheels.

I thought these were original until I got home and measured them now I am unsure. They measure just over 16" diameter and right at 7" on width. Are they aftermarket? Are they 16" or 16.5"?

Here are some pictures of what I have:

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The nominal wheel diameter should be measured at the bead seat, and the width is measured from bead seat to bead seat. What you have look like a 15x6 wheel to me.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the size will prob be stamped on them somewhere, but I agree looks like a 15x6

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I had 15x6 on my old 76. I had them powdercoated and sure enough they hit the knuckle if I remember correctly. I have the same rim and tire combination that will go on my 77 build but I hope to use a 1/4” spacer on the fronts only. I like the look of steeliness and slots on old Broncos.

OP
OP
L

Lancer29

I had 15x6 on my old 76. I had them powdercoated and sure enough they hit the knuckle if I remember correctly. I have the same rim and tire combination that will go on my 77 build but I hope to use a 1/4” spacer on the fronts only. I like the look of steeliness and slots on old Broncos.

Thanks for the heads up on the spacer. I love the look of the steelies and can't wait to get them on, powder coating first! Thanks again.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Not sure which color you go with. I initially went with a silver but ended up a lil to bright for my taste. So they added a clear coat which dulled it down to near factory color. The problem with that was the coating was put on a lil too thick on the backside where it meets the hub. I had to grind off a good bit of powdercoat “drips” just to get the wheel to sit firm. Plus adding weights to the wheels became an issue.
If I were to do it all over again I wouldn’t have the clear coat added on top of the silver. I would also tape off the seating area.