• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco vs Land Rover

TMC

Loc.
Apple Valley, Minnesota
I just returned from two weeks in England and Scotland and I can tell you one thing. When designing our beloved Broncos, Ford copied design ideas from Land Rover. The early Rovers look very similar to the broncos. Very sparten, heavy duty, short wheelbase and very box like. Like the Broncos, they too, go anywhere.<br><br>Paul

Newt

You know, Ford bought Land Rover. Too bad they don't still import the D90. Do they still make it? I kind of think of it as the modern Bronco.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Good luck working on one. They also have a Buick aluminum V-8 in them. Broncos are still way cooler and don't use Metric or Wentworth fasteners anywhere.

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
Steer clear. Even the new ones (including the D90) are known to be junk. A mechanic I know used to work as a Land Rover tech in my area and even he said to stay away from them, especially the old ones. They are known as "the prince of darkness" because of there goofy reverse ground wiring systems. Frames also prone to rot (aluminum bodies). And last but not least; almost any part on the truck costs double that of an EB. Just my 2 cents (or should I say "pounds").

OP
OP
T

TMC

Loc.
Apple Valley, Minnesota
No doubt they have a great history. Hopefully Ford can improve their quality issues. I do think the Discovery is a cool lookin grocery getter. At the car show I looked at the Rover, Discovery and the new small size version. The only one with solid front axle was the Discovery. <br>

offroadr35

Loc.
Boulder, CO
[quote author=sellitall link=board=5;threadid=8607;start=0#61652 date=1030953073]<br>Steer clear. Even the new ones (including the D90) are known to be junk. A mechanic I know used to work as a Land Rover tech in my area and even he said to stay away from them, especially the old ones. They are known as "the prince of darkness" because of there goofy reverse ground wiring systems. Frames also prone to rot (aluminum bodies). And last but not least; almost any part on the truck costs double that of an EB. Just my 2 cents (or should I say "pounds").<br>[/quote]<br><br>what are you talking about?? The D90s are by far the most capable 4x4 vehicles produced in the last 20 years...possibly ever. I have owned two. They definitely have their quirks but are very easy to work on once you get used to them. The only modification that needs to be done to them is to remove the sway-bars and you have a machine that will perform as well as most of the broncos on this site. The one gripe that is legit is that initial purchase price and parts prices are steep. I contemplated swapping a 5.0 and 60s into the rover but found it to be a lot more cost effective to sell the rover and buy a bronco.<br><br>-Steve

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Yeah, the D90 looks cool, can almost be mistaken as a Bronco, and they are supposed to wheel pretty good (I think they are IFS so no articulation though), but they are all pieces of crap. My soon to be brother-in-law used to work as a mechanic at Land Rover for a couple of years. Said they ALL get oil leaks after about 12000 miles, and once you fix it, it comes right back 12000 after that. He said they are gutless, always breaking, and a pain to work on. I think they are just rich-bitch yuppiemobiles that happen to look kinda cool. British engineering has never been known to be great. <br>-Eric

TNBronco

Loc.
Memphis TN
Wow you guys are quite mislead. I ended up getting an EB simply for the fact I couldnt find a D90 within 200 miles of my house. They came out around the early 80s in europe with a 90inch wheelbase and a 110 inch model (the four door which came here only in 93 with an exo cage :)). They are solid axle front and back (dont know where the IFS crap came from) and were coil spring front and rear. A damn impressive setup for back then and now. The v8 is the only drawback as it seems underpowered, but overseas they are all almost the 300tdi which has more torque and is deislel. Check out the gallery section of D-90.com.

civilgee

Loc.
Northport, Alabama
Hey guys, <br>I love my EB, but I would love to get a Defender 90! They look so cool! I have yet to see one covered in mud...I have seen a lot of EB's though!!!!!

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=civilgee link=board=5;threadid=8607;start=0#61772 date=1031007036] I have yet to see one covered in mud...
[/quote]

cab1.jpg
cab11.jpg

and as a southerner would say " Watch this Billy bob"
cab10.jpg

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
All I know is I pulled up next to one a silver lake sand dunes and told him I would race title for title to the top and he said NO and rolled up his window so I went to the top in 2 wheel drive and watched him try try again and he never did make it. POS that one was anyway.

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
what are you talking about?? The D90s are by far the most capable 4x4 vehicles produced in the last 20 years...possibly ever. I have owned two. They definitely have their quirks but are very easy to work on once you get used to them. The only modification that needs to be done to them is to remove the sway-bars and you have a machine that will perform as well as most of the broncos on this site. The one gripe that is legit is that initial purchase price and parts prices are steep. I contemplated swapping a 5.0 and 60s into the rover but found it to be a lot more cost effective to sell the rover and buy a bronco.<br><br><br><br>You've owned two D90's? What was the matter? Your first one wasn't the right color. Give me a break.<br><br>Oh yeah, when you get your third one let me know. I'll have my butler take us wheelin'.<br><br>-Steve

h2o_dog

Loc.
Tupelo, MS
EB vs. LAND ROVER. That's comparing apples to orange juice - or corn whiskey to herbel tea. The 2 machines have totally different purposes.<br><br>(I agree on the butler thing - tally ho!)