• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Casing. this doesn't look good.

jlembke

Loc.
Aurora, Colorado
Had problems with shifting the C4 and finally got around to pulling the VB to take a lot. As pretty much expected I had busted a band and it was getting in the way of the shifter. But then I noticed this hole in the case. It looks as though someone had chiseled out a couple of holes (badly) towards the back. There were no metal pieces in the pan so it had been that way before when it was running fine. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 131

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Looks great to me !!! :eek:

In fact, now's the time to install that new "4 Speed" auto you were drooling over and you have a good excuse to do it.

Just my take ---

OP
OP
jlembke

jlembke

Loc.
Aurora, Colorado
Now thats a glass is half full attitude. I like it! Just curious though, looks like it was intentional, just wondering why????

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
I don't see that from your picture. In fact, looks like the casting was broken from the inside-out.
Maybe with the hard parts failure, hard parts exited your trans.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I too think that is from internal parts wanting to get out. However I dont think the case is a problem. If you did not find any pieces chances are it was rebuilt after it had its damage and it still works.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Relax, it's fine.

Those holes are supposed to be there. Some have rough edges from when they were knocked out.

Attachments

• Bronco 356s.jpg
    Bronco 356s.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Bronco 364.jpg
    Bronco 364.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Something went boom at one time.
reminds me of when I pulled the third member out of the 9" It was not the factory posi that should have been in there and inside there were all kinds of fancy crater marks that lined up with the ring gear.

OP
OP
jlembke

jlembke

Loc.
Aurora, Colorado
Thanks for the pictures VW. It looked as though something had exploded through the casing but didn't find any metal debris or anything on the otherside of the hole that had caused the damage. Thanks for the replies.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There's really nothing to explode at the rear of the case. Maybe the low/reverse band but it's really thick and I've never even heard of one breaking. When those cases were cast sometimes there would be excess material left which partially blocks the holes. The quality control tech probably used something like a chisel to knock the excess flashing out. You can see the same thing in some different places inside the case. On the outside it was probably easier to grind it off.

If you're rebuilding that C4 and need any help give me a shout.

OP
OP
jlembke

jlembke

Loc.
Aurora, Colorado
Thanks for the offer viper and I definately will. I heard of a front band that can be slid on with the trans still in the vehicle. I'd like to get it on the road soon because I'm going through withdrawls, as it has been sitting for a few months. It definately needs an overhaul but I'd like to find a second one that I could rebuild then switch out in the winter. that way I could take my time and still drive her. Have you heard of the slide on band I'm talking about??

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That would be a snap band. They're not very strong and I would rather pull my C4 than use one. If it needs to be gone through it only takes a couple days to pull it, freshen it up and re-install it.