• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

c4 woes

gtcwildbill

Loc.
Northern MI
I had my c4 rebuilt a few years ago and it is starting to leak in a few spots.

First, at the adapter to the transfer case. pulling that today.

Second.....trans case to tail shaft housing.......wondering if the tail shaft has to come out to replace this gasket? And if so can it be done while the trans is still installed? Hating the thought of taking the trans out.

And lastly the shift shaft. If I remember right there is a seal and an inner O ring? And I'm guessing the whole modulator valve has to come out? And again can this be done while installed? And of course, anything to watch out for in the last 2 repairs? Like check balls, springs, and whatever?

Thanks for any help. Greatly appreciated.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Have you tried retightening the TC to tranny adapter bolts? The top ones are hard to get to and sometimes don't get tightened properly. This has happened to mine every time the TC has been reinstalled by someone else.:mad:

OP
OP
G

gtcwildbill

Loc.
Northern MI
yup even pulled the crossmember to get to the bolts. They are nice and tight. unfortunately the trans rebuilder told me he used gasket sealer cuz the c4 is so old but others i talked to said use just a dry gasket.

mickphatmac

For what it’s worth, I would use both. A thin amount of gasket sealer on both sides of the dry gasket.
I heard the same thing about the dry gasket only...and mine leaks at the same spot!!!
Getting ready to pull it out and reseal it.