• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

California Licence Plate light requirments

rylsky

Loc.
Southern CA/NV
So I see many a bumper system that relocates the licence plates. Is there a year requirement for a light? I was thinking of eventulay getting a bumper with a tire carrier and a gas/cooler deal but I did not know if I was gonna keep the cooler deal on full time. I most likely will since it would be easier. But I also see the Baile bumper has a section for the plate. Just checking the rules. I already ditched the reflectors so I know I am in trouble for that. But the plate...I know it must be lit (at night anyway) but did not know if that started in the 30's or what the deal is.

For anyone that did relocate the plate to the bumper, did you fill in the original spot and clean up the tailgate? Just thinking...

Thanks!

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
California Vehicle 24601 cvc

License Plate Lamp

24601. Either the taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear license plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. When the rear license plate is illuminated by a lamp other than a required taillamp, the two lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times.

Amended Ch. 1313, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.

:cool:

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
You could try moving the license plate bracket from the tailgate to the gas/cooler rack and extending the wiring for the light. I had the ProtoFab Guardian rear bumper with gas rack. There are holes in it to mount the license plate. I didn't add/move a light for the plate but I didn't drive much at night. I sold that bumper and I am building my own but with only a rear tire carrier so my license plate is going back to the stock location.

mtb_medic

Loc.
los gatos, CA
call me crazy but this seems a little trivial. I guess that if a cop wants to pull me over they could start with lack of mud flaps, or wheels stick out past the fenders or did you know that there is a law in CA that states that it is illegal to alter the suspension of any vehicle???

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
mtb_medic said:
.........did you know that there is a law in CA that states that it is illegal to alter the suspension of any vehicle???

Hey Crazy, ;D
Hmmm.....what section is that?

Unless it is the "Catch-All" Un-Safe Vehicle that does not define what is un-safe?

Vehicle Not Equipped or Unsafe

24002. (a) It is unlawful to operate any vehicle or combination of vehicles which is in an unsafe condition, or which is not safely loaded, and which presents an immediate safety hazard.

(b) It is unlawful to operate any vehicle or combination of vehicles which is not equipped as provided in this code.

Cause I would think this section would allow it, as long as you stay within it's restrictions.

Frame and Floor Height

24008.5. (a) No person shall operate any motor vehicle with a frame height or body floor height greater than specified in subdivisions (b) and (c).

(b) The maximum frame height is as follows:

Vehicle Type Frame Height
(1) Passenger vehicles, except housecars
23 inches

(2) All other motor vehicles, including housecars, as follows:

Up to 4,500 pounds GVWR
27 inches

4,501 to 7,500 pounds GVWR
30 inches

7,501 to 10,000 pounds GVWR
31 inches

(c) The lowest portion of the body floor shall not be more than five inches above the top of the frame.

(d) The following definitions govern the construction of this section:

(1) "Frame" means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of the vehicle or, for vehicles with unitized body construction, the lowest main longitudinal structural members of the body of the vehicle.

(2) "Frame height" means the vertical distance between the ground and the lowest point on the frame, measured when the vehicle is unladen on a level surface at the lowest point on the frame midway between the front axle and the second axle on the vehicle.

(3) "GVWR" means the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating, as defined in Section 390, whether or not the vehicle is modified by use of parts not originally installed by the manufacturer.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
brian, does it count if you've added a tubular structure permenantly to the bottom of the frame? i'm sure they measure to the origional frame rails, right?

i'm sure you know what i'm talking about, these idiots that build a tubular sub frame that some suspension component attatches to below the origional frame rails (like what RBP builds).

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
73stallion said:
brian, does it count if you've added a tubular structure permenantly to the bottom of the frame? i'm sure they measure to the origional frame rails, right?

i'm sure you know what i'm talking about, these idiots that build a tubular sub frame that some suspension component attatches to below the origional frame rails (like what RBP builds).
Ben,
Here is the CVC definition of frame:
(1) "Frame" means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of the vehicle or, for vehicles with unitized body construction, the lowest main longitudinal structural members of the body of the vehicle.

So I would say they measure to the MAIN structure not suspension brackets.

They other restrictions (besides frame) is the distance from the ground to the center of the headlights.

Headlamps on Motor Vehicles

24400. (a) During darkness and inclement weather, a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two lighted headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.

(b) As used in subdivision (a), "inclement weather" is a weather condition that is either of the following:

(1) A condition that prevents a driver of a motor vehicle from clearly discerning a person or another motor vehicle on the highway from a distance of 1,000 feet.

(2) A condition requiring the windshield wipers to be in continuous use due to rain, mist, snow, fog, or other precipitation or atmospheric moisture.

(c) This section shall become operative on July 1, 2005.

Did you see my boy 1990 Bronco?
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75500
You will see where my money has gone...