• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can the front and rear axle be geared differenty?

Brewmover

Loc.
Tulsa
Can I gear my Dana 44 at 4:11 and leave the 9 inch at 3.50 until the next time I tear into it? I have the 44 torn down and I don't like the looks of the gears so I thought I would upgrade to 4:11 to better handle larger tires, 35's. Will this cause a problem? I wouldn't think it would since it would only be an issue when 4 wheel drive is engaged.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You're right. It won't matter unless the FWD is engaged with the hubs locked in.
I would probably remove the front driveline just in case someone engages it inadvertently.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Agree with Blubuckaroo, remove the front driveshaft until you fix the rear to match, saves that aw shet moment..

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've had 4.11s in the rear and 3.50s in the front of my '69 for years. Drive all over the place no problem. Just can't put it in four wheel drive.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
If your trying a new gear ratio, it's cheaper and easier to swap the rear. But to be honest with you your better off waiting until you change both front and rear at the same time.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I've driven mine in 2- & 4WD with 3.07f & 3.50r. It won't hurt anything, as long as the tires CAN slip. Ford typically builds 4WD trucks with the front ratio ~0.01 lower (numerically higher) than the rear to improve off-road handling. Just don't engage 4WD on any high-traction surface (including dry hard-packed dirt) where the driveline would really bind up from the differing ratios. But as long as something can give, you can 4-wheel all you want with any ratios you like.

OP
OP
B

Brewmover

Loc.
Tulsa
Thank you everyone. I think I will leave it as is and run 35's with the 3.50s until those gears crap out. Then I will re-gear all at once. Thanks for the feed back! I don't want t be without 4x4 until I swap the rear.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
35s & 3.50s are tough with a stick too. I'm leaning toward 4.56s for my 73 on 35s.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Gear swaps can get expensive.

But they are one of those, "Why didn't I do this years ago?" moments.

They feel like a 50-75 hp bump when the right gears are chosen.

35's and 3.50 gears won't be a lot of fun. Tall gears and tall tires are hard on clutches and auto trannys.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ford orders in enough quantity to specify that the ratios match, if they wanted it that way. Obviously, they don't. And Ford doesn't actually manufacture axles (or any other parts). A "Ford" axle is designed by Ford engineers, but it's still manufactured at a subcontractor's plant.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I thought it was a difference in pitch between the 2 axle manufacturers Dana/Ford.

There is a difference. Ford even had in an advertisement that the difference was designed for greater traction when the rear was slightly faster than the front.

That's BS.%) It's just simple economics. Those were the standard gears available.

If you have a 3,50 rear, it comes with a slower 3.54 front.
If you have a 4.11 rear it comes with a faster 4.09 front.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
The rear is SLOWER than the front, and it's not BS or economics. If Ford had ordered 10 million of matching gearsets, it would cost them precisely the same as 10 million mismatched sets. When the fronts turn faster, it improves off-road steering response because the front tires PULL the truck around turns instead of just plowing (ruddering).

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The rear is SLOWER than the front, and it's not BS or economics. If Ford had ordered 10 million of matching gearsets, it would cost them precisely the same as 10 million mismatched sets. When the fronts turn faster, it improves off-road steering response because the front tires PULL the truck around turns instead of just plowing (ruddering).

I understand what you're saying, but what about their 3.50 rear/3.54 front application that came on most of these cars?

I actually like the front slightly faster than the rear. I've noticed less gear bind when shifting the transfer case out of
4 Low since I put in the 4.11 rear/4.09 front.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
This was a point of discussion years ago in a couple of 4 wheel drive clubs i belonged to and one of the"plus" reasons to go with 4.09 /4.11 vs 3.50/3.54 .
The slightly faster front helps steering and " go where you point it" while in 4 wheel drive.
As far as the difference in gear ratios I would think that you'd have a little less binding with only .02 difference in ratios vs .04.