• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can the front and rear axle be geared differenty?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought every EB with a 30 or 44 and 3.50 rear gears (standard on V8 EB's) had a 3.54 in the front? So theoretically, lots of them.
In fact, that's the split between the "3-series" and "4-series" carriers on a 30. It's 3.73 and down on a 44, but 3.54 and down on a 30.

There are actually 3.50 sets available for the Dana axles from what I've seen in aftermarket listings, but not sure I've ever seen one installed from the factory. Not that I was paying strict attention to that details, so maybe I'm off. But don't think so...:cool:
Most books I used to have only listed the 3.54.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What the heck are you doing up so late anyway Steve?:eek:

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
CARS??? %) I thought we were talking about Broncos. :mad:

I can't speak to that since I don't know the stats on how many eBs were built that way. I've never noticed one, but I rarely see them with stock gearsets (or anything ELSE). ;)
Unless it's a half cab, it's a car.
Off road tires and suspension don't make it a truck. %)

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
What the heck are you doing up so late anyway Steve?
My home planet has a different rotation speed than Earth. :cool:
Unless it's a half cab, it's a car.
Off road tires and suspension don't make it a truck. %)
I recognize that you have a right to that opinion, but I think mine is more mainstream: a car's wheel centers are ABOVE its rocker panels to keep its CG & drag coefficient as low as possible; a truck's are BELOW to give it ground clearance & cargo capacity as its suspension compresses under a load. Trucks are also built exclusively on frames; no monocoque or unibody. Cars & vans can be built on any platform. Covering a truck's bed or bolting seats back there doesn't make it a car, any more than cutting a car's roof or trunk lid off would make it a truck.

And changing the body doesn't change the vehicle type; if it's built on a truck chassis, it's always a truck no matter how disgracefully-lowered it might be. ;D

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
ratios

Ive read the tags on both front and rear of my 67 a 9in in the rear and a 30up front both are tagged 4:11 next time I have the cover off ill count the teeth just to see for my self

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks metal1. That'd be cool if you can get that info. I bet the tag is wrong, but would be super interested to be wrong on that.
That 4.11 front is a new one for me so it would be good to know what exactly is in there.

Do the tags look to be original? It's possible for them to be swapped accidentally of course, but unusual.
I think the gear lube in your front diff needs changing right away. Get 'er done and count them teeth!;D

Thanks

Paul

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
Damn I just changed all the slippery stuff ,the tag looks very original ,I loaned my dad the bronco for the summer ,a cool trip to Alaska ,they left this am ,so it will be awoke before I can cqheck out the diff info