• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

carrier bearing Help

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK Guys I'm tired ... I've worked on this carrier bearing on my Bronco Haul truck .
..2000 Dodge diesel .
But it's been viberating pretty bad lately . SO Before we load up & go get my Buddies new Bronco . I need t replace it. So took about 3 hours labor to get the shaft out from under the truck . & I could not knock the bearing off So I got out the hot wrench . SO It's off but that even took 30 minutes.
..... So too a flat Bastard & cleaned up the surface .It looks dressed fine ..
So tried to put the new one on no go. There were 2 style but they are about 1/4 difference so this is the correct one.
.... It wouldn't slide on . So I tapped on it somewhat. Still no go .
So I removed it. & recleaned the surface .. PUT IT ON AGAIN. AND PUT IT in the vice an got a perfect fitting piece of pipe ... Beat hell out if it no go.
TOOK IT OFF AGAIN . Got the file & dressed the complete circle for the 3rd time . You could even see the filings .. Cleaned it up again & tried to drive it on .. It's holding in the vice & I got that piece of pipe that fits over the spline
& inside the rubber & up against bearing .. & My BFH AFTER IT AGAIN. still no go. So
..... Have any of you had a issue like this before. & When that bearing does go on how loose is ok.
.... Also if the shaft is hot will it swell or Do I need to chill that shaft to shrink it. I guess I could go to town & get a sack of ice & put it in an ice chest..
THANKS

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I guess that would depend on hot the shaft is. I have always had to beat them on. not sure what else to do without a press. I hate messing with them

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Hell I got a 20ton press but the shaft is too long to go into it.
I've got the shaft in a cooler of ice now.I thought I'd leave it in the ice for about 6 hours and give it another try .

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Impact with a gear or bearing puller? As far as the press, we've put them on a pallet and lifted them off the ground before to gain some height.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
...I hate to add heat to that new bearing. With my luck I can see where that will go.
But that's a pretty good video.
.. I've done a lot of these on my chevy trucks .But I've never had one I couldn't whip .

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.......OK We got it tonight. I iced it down last night & Put a 2nd bag on it again tonight.
We went to the pasture & looked at the cows. Had one new baby 3 now..
Went over to the Pig Waller & put out some more corn.. 3 Baby pigs there eating yesterdays corn. Hunter got 2 of them .
... So we put the shaft into the vise. Cleaned it again . & put the pipe over the splined shaft. & The Strong young man Knocked hell out of it with a hammer . It finally went to Pinning to a different sound.
.. So Then we got under the truck & It was a bitch to drive up on the splines .. But We got it back in place.
.... We went to drive it & the shifts were smooth & without that SHAKE IT's had at the End of the shifts.
.... YEA. SURE GLAD I had this Strong young grand SON TO HELP ME.
.It's sure been nice having him here to help around the farm.
& He did start that new job this morning.. & Next week he gets the daytime shift 4 / 10hours shifts.with some OT.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I've done so many in mylife .. & Now my age is beginning to show up.. I can't believe when I can't beat something up.
I'm learning a new lesson. But I still have fun trying.