• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Caster Suggestions and Driveline clearance

meanjean73

Loc.
Oregon
Installed extended radius arms with 2 degree bushings and 4 degree built into the arms. My lift is 3 1/2”. I measured my caster angle using a rod placed through the inner C’s (knuckles removed) of the axle and a digital angle finder, gave me 8 degrees.

Here is where I’m looking for input. I have a 4R70w transmission and my CV joint now makes contact with the cross member on the front driveline. It’s the weight to balance the driveshaft. Stock arms and 7 degree bushing didn’t cause clearance issues.

My thought was to get 4 degree C bushings or possibly 2 1/2” lift springs to reduce the driveshaft angle. This should keep my caster around +6 degree’s and point the pinion at the T-case reducing driveline angle giving me clearance?
Looking for input before I spend more money.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
meanjean73

meanjean73

Loc.
Oregon
Not yet. The front is on jack stands with the full weight. If it’s hitting the cross member at ride height any droop in the front would make the impact worse.

Another idea would be to notch the cross member but I’d rather not if there was an easier fix.

I know the best solution is to cut and rotate the inner C’s but I’ll save that for another time. For now I’m looking for the ideal fix.

OP
OP
meanjean73

meanjean73

Loc.
Oregon
I went back out to the shop, pulled the C bushings out and verified correct location. After putting everything back together paying close attention to evenly torquing the C caps I know have 6 degree of caster vs the previous 8. Driveline no longer contact the crossmember but the balance weight is very close. I’ll put it back together and drive it, se how it does. I’m not thrilled with the crossmember/driveline clearance but maybe it won’t be an issue?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not sure what your crossmember looks like. Any chance of shimming the transfer case up 1/8" for a little more clearance?

As for the balance weights, I remember having a "no weight zone" noted on the front driveshaft when it was built.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Every crossmember I have seen running the 4r70w is custom made crossmember with a notch for clearance of the drive shaft.