• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ceramic Header Coatings

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Has anyone had their headers sent out to be ceramic coated? How did you like the results? What supplier did you use?

Jet-Hot sent me a quote of about $360, which includes cleaning the rust off and return shipping, but it seems a little steep. Some other places seem to be in the $250-300 range. I can get a brand new set of doug thorleys, coated and all, for about $360, but I'm not sure how durable the finish they use is.

Comments?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Had mine done by HPC in salt lake city but I was close by and could drop them off. It was only about $225. Had a problem about 6 months after they did it but they redid them for free and have held up fine for the last 9 years. Its usually cheaper to just get new ones already coated they should be able to tell you who coated them. Jet hot also sells headers already coated not sure on the price though.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
EricLar80 said:
Also, has anyone tried the manifold resortation kit from por15?
I used a new stuff by POR-15..called POR-20(silver). I took some cheap new long headers(black), sand blasted them and put 1 coat on them-looked great for a couple of months. But, I should have put a few more coats on...I have done alot of mudding and 1 trail ride. Alot of forrest and tail grass...so it has rubbed some of it off on the lower tubes. I just removed them and was going to coat them again-however my one pint size had dried up:p -so I just put them back on w/out it for now. I will do it again-just alot more next time. The paint never burned off at or near the heads- pretty good in my book. ;D Chuck---oh yeah it was around $28.00 for it-not cheap, but went on nice- it did look professional for a while.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Here is my recommendation:
http://www.hightechcoatings.com/

I know lots and lots of racers (both Canadian and US) use Rick's stuff. I even have my motor housings in his shop getting coated. I am doing it for two fold, first so they don't scratch, but more importantly, so the cases become smaller on the inside by 8 thousands. This will tighten my air gap between the armature and fields, which could give me more than 25% more torque in the low rpms.

Anyway Rick is as old as dirt, and has been in the business forever. Read his write ups on exhaust parts and such. http://www.hightechcoatings.com/header.htm
He doesn't mince words, LOL.

I don't know what his prices are like, or how they compare to others. I do know there is a lot of BS in the industry, so since I have seen his stuff (years after it went into use), I won't look any where else. Asking him for a quote won't cost you anything, and if nothing else it will give you a basis to go by.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
after the experience with my coated duffy headers I would go with jet hot. I have 2 friends that used it with good results. It will discolor if you get em all muddy. At least they aren't full of rust like mine.

ak68

I got a brand new set of heddman headers with the sterling jet hot coating from jet hot for about $275 last year.