• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Changing EB D44 & 9" to Fullsize HPD44 & 9" Need a few questions answered

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Changing EB D44 & 9" to Fullsize HPD44 & 9" Need a few questions answered

I have a few High Pinion D44's from a 79 F150. Was thinking I could use it in my 68. Its 6" wider but I have a driveline bind problem now when suspension flex's so a HPD44 would solve the problem. I believe I can still use the carrier & locker out of the EB D44 but need new reverse gears?

The Heavy Duty Big Bearing 9" also off the F150 is straight forwards, put my 31 spline 3rd member in place of the other. For future reference is a fullsize stock 9" 31 spline? This way I can keep the stock shafts as spares. I'll get some chromoly shafts front and rear. This won't happen until summer, just want an idea of what I'm getting into and what I need.

I'll have to ditch the 12" wide rims for 10" so its not so wide. Trails here are narrow. 10" should put me 1" wider on each side than I am now with 12" rims. Who can I send alum rims to, to be beadlocked?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
68 Broncoholic said:
I have a few High Pinion D44's from a 79 F150. Was thinking I could use it in my 68. Its 6" wider but I have a driveline bind problem now when suspension flex's so a HPD44 would solve the problem. I believe I can still use the carrier & locker out of the EB D44 but need new reverse gears?

The Heavy Duty Big Bearing 9" also off the F150 is straight forwards, put my 31 spline 3rd member in place of the other. For future reference is a fullsize stock 9" 31 spline? This way I can keep the stock shafts as spares. I'll get some chromoly shafts front and rear. This won't happen until summer, just want an idea of what I'm getting into and what I need.

I'll have to ditch the 12" wide rims for 10" so its not so wide. Trails here are narrow. 10" should put me 1" wider on each side than I am now with 12" rims. Who can I send alum rims to, to be beadlocked?
Yes, the carrier will fit but the gears will not, same on the back. Should be stock 31 spline if it a late 70's era truck 9".

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Info I got from Randy's Ring & Pinion:
Yes I can use my carrier/locker from the EB D44 to go in the HPD44 to save some cash. All I need is a new bearing kit and reverse gears for the HPD44. Problem I ran into is the lowest gear ratio available is 5.38 (I run 5:89).
I didn't plan on regearing the 9" and found the closest ratio match to the HPD44 is 5.13.

My stock EB small bearing 9" housing is cracking and has to be replaced soon. I'll use my EB 3rd member in the full size 9" for a while (5:89) and run 10" wide rims to match the width up front with 12" rims.
Only cost will be $300 for chromoly shafts in the 9". Once I add the HPD44 I'll need new gears for both.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
68 Broncoholic said:
Info I got from Randy's Ring & Pinion:
Yes I can use my carrier/locker from the EB D44 to go in the HPD44 to save some cash. All I need is a new bearing kit and reverse gears for the HPD44. Problem I ran into is the lowest gear ratio available is 5.38 (I run 5:89).
I didn't plan on regearing the 9" and found the closest ratio match to the HPD44 is 5.13.

My stock EB small bearing 9" housing is cracking and has to be replaced soon. I'll use my EB 3rd member in the full size 9" for a while (5:89) and run 10" wide rims to match the width up front with 12" rims.
Only cost will be $300 for chromoly shafts in the 9". Once I add the HPD44 I'll need new gears for both.
Ouch, yes the gear selection is limited for the HP.

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Maybe I should use the HPD60 out of my 96 F350 and put the HPD44 in its place. Afterall I have to cut off the wedges anyway. ;D
I never use 4x4 in the F350 unless it snows. Whatcha think? :p

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
68 Broncoholic said:
Maybe I should use the HPD60 out of my 96 F350 and put the HPD44 in its place. Afterall I have to cut off the wedges anyway. ;D
I never use 4x4 in the F350 unless it snows. Whatcha think? :p
Were you still tossing around the idea of a doubler setup? If so then that might get you enough length to ease the front driveline angle.

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
The doubler is still tumbling around in my head. I just want to use some of the parts taking up space in my garage without going broke. Don't feel like selling the stuff either. I'd like to get a high pinion due to clearance and driveline angles. The full size 9" is going in no matter what. The crack on my EB 9" gets worse every time I go out.

The D60 way costs too much for ring/pinion, locker, rims, tires etc, etc.