• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chevy Disk Brake Conversion Complete

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I just took my rig on its first drive with the new brakes and power booster. It wasn't what I expected, but the brake conversion did eliminate the pulling to the side when the brakes are applied. I certainly can't lock the brakes up now (I didn't try it), but they do stop it much better. All in all, I think it was money well spent. I think I may still have a little air in the system though.

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
Congrats!

I'm just curious why some choose the Chevy conversion over the Ford discs? Price, better components, etc? Definitely something on my horizon as well, although I've got other demons to exorcise first.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I chose it for the price and it appeared to be easier than the Ford disk setup. This conversion cost me a lot more than if I had done it in the lower 48. Finding used parts here is not easy and when you do find them, they want new part prices for them. I ended up buying new everything except for the back plates and had to have everything shipped to me excpet the hub/rotor assemblies. The Chevy conversion bolts right up to your Dana 30 or 44 easily. I am no mechanic and was able to do it with the help I got on here.

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
You have to use different knuckles for the 76-77 Eb brake swap and they are getting harder to find and the steering knuckles are then closer to the wheels due to the inverted Y setup they were designed for.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Here ya go.

Attachments

• DSCN3125.JPG
    DSCN3125.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN3126.JPG
    DSCN3126.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN3133.JPG
    DSCN3133.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN3134.JPG
    DSCN3134.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN3127.JPG
    DSCN3127.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 38

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
1ST Serg I just got thru doing 2 disk jobs ...one was on my 72.. chevy job no power just stock dual m/c It will lock up my 16's...
Then yesterday and today we swapped in a Dana 44 Cheby stuff ...into Running Buddys 1966 ...After getting one of the calipers working ...IT too will lock up with no power...I do have several hydrobooster, but I don't like to do ever thing at once when something goes wrong not as many questions..

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
1ST Serg I just got thru doing 2 disk jobs ...one was on my 72.. chevy job no power just stock dual m/c It will lock up my 16's...
Then yesterday and today we swapped in a Dana 44 Cheby stuff ...into Running Buddys 1966 ...After getting one of the calipers working ...IT too will lock up with no power...I do have several hydrobooster, but I don't like to do ever thing at once when something goes wrong not as many questions..

I haven't tried to lock them up, so I really don't know if they will or not. It stopped very quickly when I needed to though. A little girl ran out in the road from between two cars and I didn't have to stomp on it to get it to stop. Came to a stop rather easily though. Like I said, I may still have a little air in the system.

hucklburry rev2

Congrats!

I'm just curious why some choose the Chevy conversion over the Ford discs? Price, better components, etc? Definitely something on my horizon as well, although I've got other demons to exorcise first.

All the parts are Dana parts. With the "chevy" swap, you keep your stock knuckles, bolt on new spindles and caliper brackets. A ford swap means swapping the knuckles, and the mid-70s ford truck knuckles have a different steering arm, leaving the tie rod lower than the stock EB knuckles, or requiring a tie rod over which is more work/cost than the "chevy" swap.

rednck21

does the donor have to be a cevy 44 or can the parts be from a 10 bolt?? they "look" the same...

pics look great btw....;)

rednck21

thanks. you used a stock 76/77 hub and rotor? ive got a complete front dana 44 from a 76, but im seriously considering going this route because of the simplicity and the fact theres a 44 already under my 72.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Give the brake pads some time to seat in also brake pad choice makes a differenance many of the high end brake pads dont work well until hot.
Any 76-79 bronco of F150 hub and rotor assembly will work. Ive done the ford kunckles out conversion and while I like it my next conversion will be the ch#vy type as less cost is involved and for the fact I have 3 setups sitting on my porch.