• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chevy spindles?

DixieBronco

Loc.
Kenner, LA
I'm trying to do the chevy disc brake swap and i have two spindles but they seem to be a little different. The person i got the from wasn't sure what they came off of. on the spindles i found some numbers. Does any body know what numbers i need. Do these numbers mean anything

one says
E38428 M1CL13

and the other
38129 HA35

72Sport

Bronco Guru
DixieBronco said:
I'm trying to do the chevy disc brake swap and i have two spindles but they seem to be a little different. The person i got the from wasn't sure what they came off of. on the spindles i found some numbers. Does any body know what numbers i need. Do these numbers mean anything

one says
E38428 M1CL13

and the other
38129 HA35

Not sure about the numbers but I would guess that one has a larger bearing diameter on the inside bearing surface. The one that your stock drum inner bearing fits on is probably the right one if it is a disc spindle. The larger one is probably off of a 77 1/2 to 91 which won't allow you to use Ford rotors and hubs.

My spindle has #E36368 stamped on the flange. I think the other numbers starting with M and H are a date code. Sierrabronco.com had drawings on their website which shows the correct as compared to a drum? Ford spindle. It gives all the important dimensions.

OP
OP
DixieBronco

DixieBronco

Loc.
Kenner, LA
I looked at the drawings on Sierra's site. How exact are they. One of the spindles seems to be 6 1/2" and the other is about 6 3/8". also the measurement that they said should be 1 3/16 is more like 1 3/8. Will these work or should i keep looking for some spindles

CDOG

Loc.
Tucson
Try to put an inner bearing on both of them. I just finished the conversion last week and it turns out the D44 Front end I bought was a 3/4 ton front end. I was unaware this was a potential problem when started looking for parts. I thought 3/4 ton's had 8 bolts not 6. I found out the hard way and was very lucky to find the right spindles locally for $50 each. More expense but I was stuck at the time. The 3/4 ton bearing is huge and obviously will not fit the Ford hub. Sorry no numbers right now