• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cigar Lighter + USB Issue

dmplatt

I have a working plug-into-lighter USB port (tested in the other car)

15a fuse is new so I also have:
a working original lighter element (tested in the truck, key out)
a working dome light (key out)

What I don't have is a working USB port when plugged into the lighter - key out, key in, accessory power on.

Any tricks to making this work?

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Try it with another USB plug-in thingy. I have several USB plug-ins because some work in one vehicle and not in another. Drives me nuts sometimes especially the cheap ones. With 40+ yrs on your Bronco's plug-in slot it could be dirty with crud and maybe bent up some. The tip of your USB thingy might not be making good contact with the center point on the element.

OP
OP
dmplatt

dmplatt

Hmmm... I've tried 3 different plugs.

Based on the lighter element heating up I'm assuming there is constant power to the lighter - is that right? Is there any reason the truck would need to be running to make it work?

Jaxgtc

Hmmm... I've tried 3 different plugs.

Based on the lighter element heating up I'm assuming there is constant power to the lighter - is that right? Is there any reason the truck would need to be running to make it work?

I think the cigar lighter is hot all the time. The usb adapter with the little light on it would not be a good option.

OP
OP
dmplatt

dmplatt

Solved!

4th time was a charm. Needed a plug with a really long body and a lot of travel in the end contact. This one has a light so I'll have to make sure I remember to pull it out!

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The exact points inside the socket where the lighter makes contact are not the same as where the adapter makes contact. So the metal is relatively clean where the lighter touches, but corroded where the adapter does. Disconnect power (pull the fuse) to the socket, and run a Dremel steel cup brush inside it to polish as much metal as you can. Then apply a thin layer of ELECTRICAL grease (NOT dielectric, or chassis, or thermal) to the socket & the adapter contacts.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004UDHJ/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NUBB28/

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Air voids don't hurt anything, and grease doesn't fill them. Electrical grease seals out moisture without providing a separate path, too - electrical grease is NOT conductive. It's counterintuitive to use something called "dielectric" when you want electricity to flow because it's wrong.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I dont know. Just bought a tube of die-electric and it says on the package for use on electrical connections in moist or corrosive environments

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Electrical grease, like XG-12, is usually thinner than dielectric grease. That makes it more suitable for use on metal contacts which may not have enough pressure to displace heavy grease and make contact.

Dielectric grease might be better suited for lubing and blocking moisture on high pressure contacts in areas of heavy moisture like exterior lights.

There is also conductive electrical grease which just makes it more confusing. I always read the labels.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
...die-electric and it says on the package for use on electrical connections...
Then either the people who wrote the label don't understand the meaning of the word "dielectric", or the grease is poorly engineered.
Dielectric grease might be better suited for lubing and blocking moisture on high pressure contacts...
No, electrical grease is better-suited to that application than dielectric.

Ford dielectric grease has sand in it, which makes it excellent in dielectric applications because glass has a high dielectric constant, and maintains separation between the surfaces. That also makes it UNsuitable for any electrical application.

oldy1978

Loc.
New England
It's a bit odd that dielectric grease is "wrong" and that Ford is the only company that markets "electrical grease." Since Ford's XG-12 sells for >$10 per 3 oz tube, wouldn't other companies jump on that market?

I've been an aircraft mechanic for over a decade and use dielectric grease on electrical sockets as required by the technical orders...should I contact the tech reps and engineers that the specified product is wrong?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
It's a bit odd that dielectric grease is "wrong"...
Not when you consider who writes the marketing copy for those products; it's NOT the engineers who cooked up the grease. Thousands of products are marketed wrong in the US. For example: "convection" ovens are specifically built NOT to cook with natural convection; they cook with forced airflow. So "convection cooking" means "cooking without convection". Long-life engine coolant must be changed MORE-often than normal coolant. So "long-life" means "short-life". Vehicles marketed as "all-new" for this model year invariably reuse many of the same parts as the previous year model (tires, rims, lug nuts, engine, transmission, light bulbs, seats...). So "all-new" means "not-all-new".
...Ford is the only company that markets "electrical grease."
No, many companies do. Ford is just the only one that packages & labels it correctly, because it's not marketed to the masses; it's mainly for professionals, who are supposed to know better.
I've been an aircraft mechanic for over a decade...
Did you study chemistry or chemical engineering before you got that job?
...use dielectric grease on electrical sockets as required by the technical orders.
Again: who's writing the orders? People who know the difference? Probably not.
should I contact the tech reps and engineers that the specified product is wrong?
Do you like your job? Probably not a good idea to tell your bosses they're wrong. But if you own your own plane, you'd be better-off using the right stuff on it.

Fortunately, I don't have that limitation here - I don't rely on anyone here to pay my mortgage. So I have no reason to condescend. My interest is in keeping Broncos running well, because I like Broncos. :cool: So I'm going to tell you the truth (as I understand it, based on a lot of experience & education) regardless of who likes to hear it. ;D
...keep using CRC.
Did you bother to read the comments on that YouTube page? Most of the replies say the same thing I am. :eek:

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
The guy in the video got a bit carried away. I don't disagree with that. I do disagree with your statement that dielectric grease is unsuitable for any electrical application.

oldy1978

Loc.
New England
Steve83, is it possible that you are wrong? I can't even find one website that supports your view.

dmplatt, sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

oldy1978

Loc.
New England
Ford dielectric grease has sand in it, which makes it excellent in dielectric applications because glass has a high dielectric constant, and maintains separation between the surfaces. That also makes it UNsuitable for any electrical application.

Do you consider silica the same as sand/glass? XG-12 contains silica

Motorcraft® Part Number: XG-12
Specification Number: WSB-M1C239-A

https://global.ihs.com/doc_detail.cfm?document_name=FORD WSB-M1C239-A#abstract-section

"The material defined by this specification is a NLGI Grade 2 polyalphaolefin based grease thickened with silica."

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Steve83, is it possible that you are wrong?
Of course. But if I thought I was wrong, I wouldn't have posted it. So what's the point of asking me?
I can't even find one website that supports your view.
I guess you missed this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric
Do you consider silica the same as sand/glass?
Here's a website that supports that view:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica
But it could be wrong.