• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch chatter

buck68

OK everyone, we have a 68 bronco. It has a 4.5 inch suspension, one inch body lift. 4.88 gears 34x10.50 super swamper ltb. Mild 302. Last project done was the front axle gears in November. Rear axle gears and body lift were done in the spring ,last year. The bronco sits outside under a cover during the winter. When we parked it in November it ran great, no issues. Drove it in March to get some gas, started fine , initially drove fine. It has developed a very sporadic shudder\ chatter. Doesn't happen often , maybe once in an hour of driving or so. When it happens it's unmistakable. Drove it a week in front wheel drive with no shudder\chatter. It only happens in first gear, from a stop. I've researched it. I've checked torque specs on ubolts, drive train . I replaced the rear driveshaft with a Tom Woods driveshaft. We needed one anyway, no change. No noticeable oil leak from rear main seal. There is some flex in the firewall , it was mentioned in a thread . I'm making a brace for it. I'm hoping someone has come across a situation like this and can give me a new lead . I'm almost out of ideas here.

Thank you

Kirk

tortoiseracer

Loc.
Tempe
My guess would be possible rust on the clutch pressure plate or flywheel. Other possibility would be rusted springs on the clutch not allowing the give on start to smooth up the engagement. If it goes away after a while I would think the first option. First gear always aggravates this condition.
Chris

OP
OP
B

buck68

Thanks for the response Chris. I was hoping it was going to clear up but I'm not so sure that will be the case. We do have a transmission/transfer case assembly that we worked on over the winter that's in the on deck circle. I am trying to find the cause of the issue before We change out the assembly. We may have to bump up the time table on the swap to inspect the clutch.

Kirk

Mtgrizzlymn

I have that issue once in a while as well. New clutch pressure plate ect. Hate it when I have a passanger.

OP
OP
B

buck68

Thank you for the reminder. The clutch is only about 3 years old and I had it resurfaced before we installed everything. If I don't come up with a solution to the issue before we do the transmission/transfer case swap, I'll probably go with a new flywheel and clutch so we have a fresh start.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Fought this issue for 18 years. Bronco way of life.......or so i thought

New Flywheel, PP and clutch, no help
Lower rear gears really helped the issue forward but it was there in reverse more than ever.

With my 351W/EFI project, I took all the clutch linkage off and found the equalizer bar and Z bar were trashed. The bushings were long gone and it was metal on metal thus allowing the linkage to not be solid. It appear fine with the parts on the rig but they were really bad. I had check it several times but it all looked fine till I took it all off.

I replaced the flywheel, clutch, (went to a diaphragm style) PP along with all new clutch linkage and the issue is GONE. Smooth as a baby's butt forward and reverse.

I suggest taking the clutch linkage off and verifying it's not the issue.

Tim

OP
OP
B

buck68

Thank you for the suggestion Tim. I put new bushings etc in the z bar 3 years ago when we put it all together. Maybe something is worn out in there already. I even looked at it the other day and adjusted it because it seemed like it had a bit of play in it. I'll actually disassemble it this time to verify everything is as it should be.

Kirk

OP
OP
B

buck68

Nice, I hope you found out what's been causing the issue! I'm going to try to disassemble ours on Saturday .

OP
OP
B

buck68

I have some news to report . I had some time to take apart the z bar etc. To check the bushings. Well, I guess when I did the body lift or some time after the bushings came apart inside . luckily, they were not damaged so I was able to reinstall them correctly and adjust the linkage. Now it's working perfectly. Thanks Tim for offering that suggestion. It hasn't had the chatter issue in a couple days now. I also installed a bracket I made to stop the firewall flex a couple days ago. Time will tell. After a couple good drives I'll have my answer.