• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coco's Mods: Recessed fuel cap & filler neck, P. 14

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Building a cage for Coco

I saw that one, its a cool little unit. I figured I need a little more power though. Topless Bronco, loud as hell, etc.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Building a cage for Coco

The laser operator here at work just dropped my cage foot plates by my desk. I love giving them a drawing in the morning and having the parts in my hands before quitting time :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365632690.300980.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365632690.300980.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

mattt

Bronco Guru
Looking good Dusty. Trade ya some turn signals for a few cage foot plates? ;)

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Looking good Dusty. Trade ya some turn signals for a few cage foot plates? ;)

How many do you need? I made two sizes: 4X4 (with holes on 3X3 centers) for the A and C pillars, and 5X5 (holes on 4X4) for the B pillars. A complete set, for me, was 4 of each, because on the B-pillars I'm going to sandwich the floor between 2 of them and weld a frame tie-in to the one underneath. I didn't think that was necessary at A and C, because they both land on the body strengthening ribs that lay across the body mounts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
they're probably not quite as thick as those, but ims has those in i think 3/16" for like a buck and change a piece....

http://www.industrialmetalsupply.com/Locations

if you don't use them, they have a great remnant section where you can basically get steel for scrap prices....

Mine are 3/16 also. If you can buy them for a dollar apiece I would suggest doing that. That's pretty cheap.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Worked a little more on it this weekend. Got all the foot plates in. Added the Singer-required diagonal tube. Got most of the joints burned in (what I can reach before pulling it out to finish). Now time to start adding doo-dads like handles, tabs for windshield, antenna, jack mount, etc. didn't get any pics of the progress but I did shoot this one for my Instagram feed, of the beer I was drinking while working on it LOL...

Airborne69

Loc.
Moorpark, CA
Man I love this cage! It is almost exactly what I plan on building for mine. I've had a hard time finding an angle I like for the rear bars, but this is by far my favorite.

As far as running the bars behind the dash, is there anyway to keep the stock location of the light switch? I am assuming that will have to be relocated to make room.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Man I love this cage! It is almost exactly what I plan on building for mine. I've had a hard time finding an angle I like for the rear bars, but this is by far my favorite.

As far as running the bars behind the dash, is there anyway to keep the stock location of the light switch? I am assuming that will have to be relocated to make room.

Thanks man! Yeah Im really happy with the lines too. I've never liked the look of family style cages. I know they're a necessity if you have and use a back seat, but aesthetically they're just to boxy for me.

Regarding the stock light switch, I honestly can't say I even remember where it was located. So I can't answer your question.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I've been chipping away at this thing a little at a time and its just about done so I guess I should update this thread.

So when we left off, the cage was pretty much fleshed out. I just needed to add the foot plates and whatever doo-dads I wanted. So I started by bending up a couple of grab handles.

An entry handle for each side...

And an "Oh Shit!" bar for the dash bar...

Next, I wanted to add some roof panels so I drew some up, and some tabs, and asked the laser operator at work to cut them out for me. I love having a laser at work :)

The panels are .090 aluminum.

The tabs are cut from .125 steel.

Measure twice, cut once, and they dropped right into place. Welded the tabs and voila...

Time for a cold one. Ballast Point Sculpin!

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Mounted the CB to the center roof panel.

Antenna mount on the rear leg.

Put the 4' Firestik on a spring mount, and added a hook to the cage diagonal to hook the antenna in a down position for driving it into the garage and in my trailer.

Notice those cool little plastic cable keepers. They clip right on to the 1-3/4" tubing. I bought a pack of them a few years back at the Off-Road Expo, finally got around to using them.

And here the cage is, pretty much done.

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Re: Building a Cage for Coco

Awesome roll cage and having access to those laser machines is just awesome

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Wow, Nice job on the cage build. Its like you were reading my mind when you were thinkin about this cage. Love it! I have been thinking about a cage like this design for awhile now. I may be copying it if you don't mind and that is the sincerest form of flattery. ;D

It is between this and another to finish up mine! Beautiful!!!!

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Wow, Nice job on the cage build. Its like you were reading my mind when you were thinkin about this cage. Love it! I have been thinking about a cage like this design for awhile now. I may be copying it if you don't mind and that is the sincerest form of flattery. ;D

It is between this and another to finish up mine! Beautiful!!!!

Great minds think alike! hopefully your welds are prettier than mine though :D

By all means, copy away. These are by no means solely my own ideas.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Great minds think alike! hopefully your welds are prettier than mine though :D

By all means, copy away. These are by no means solely my own ideas.

Ahh, your welds look fine! Only way to get better is to weld, weld, and weld some more. Yours are definitely better than mine though! Here is what I saw on another truck on here that I like the design as well because it is different.

My front looks like yours but doesn't go through the dash. Your back with this on top possibly? What do you think???

Attachments

• Bronco Cage Pics 3.jpg
    Bronco Cage Pics 3.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 469