• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Column or Floor?

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Well, Column shifters are nice and neat keeping it out of your way. Floor shifters (depending on what you choose can get a bit in the way of the t case shifter. Anything can be worked out, it really comes down to preference. I may be using a floor shifter from a 73 Mustang or a new Lokar cable shift floor shifter.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
All a matter of personal preference. Like mine up out of the way

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
My preference is on the floor. But be careful what shifter you get. I like the Lokar or Art Carr/Winters. I would not go with a cheap rachet shifter - especially if you wheel.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I wanted to stay on the column for the out of the way reason...but found a good deal on a Lokar floor shifter, so I went that route. I really like it.

Dakota

Loc.
Sunny South Dakota!
I also jump on the Lokar floor shifter. It is a very high quality unit, and works well. Additionally, it has a really high test look to it.

toughhorse1

Loc.
DELAWARE
i personally like the shifter on the column just because its more of a stock look and it is out the way if you want to put a console in you have plenty of room but on the floor is easier if you have the 3 speed column

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
Well, if you are on date and you just cant make it home that damn floor shifter can get in the way and you know how small the back seat is.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
That is the shifter but they make one that is shifted by cable, thats the one you want.

Why? I've got the C6 version with direct linkage on my '78 Bronco and it works great. The cable would give you more flexibility in mounting location but I would think it's harder to adjust and harder keeping it adjusted. I've not mounted one on a C4 so maybe there is some interference with the TC shifter?? I am considering the Art Carr or the Lokar for my trail rig and I'm leaning more towards the Lokar but with the direct linkage. Tell me why I need to go cable! Thanks! ;D