• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Complete Drive train instal on a 76 help..

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
I've read on Google that there seem to be opinions on doing the transmission separate from the engine. Ideally, I'd like to attach the tranny to the engine and drop it in. However, I know clearance will be an issue. We are using a harbor freight shop crane and a chain to a few bolts on the heads. What say you tech forum. There will be two of us trying to instal the engine. The easiest way would be ideal. However, installing the engine without killing someone or not damaging the body would be great too.

Here is what I have:
302 auto brand new rebuilt engine so it won't have the oil pan on.
C4
Dayna 20 with cross member support. We pulled it to do the undercarriage coating.
Tires are 30 x10.5 x 15. I can take them off and put the front on jack stands if need be.

Thoughts?

Hotrodjohn

That oil pan goes on a lot easier out of the Bronco.... Another tip to make it easier, put motor mounts on engine loosely so they dangle a little bit, this makes the studs go into frame mounts much easier. The bolts are easy to tighten to block once in the frame. I would think the HF crane could handle all the weight according to its rated capacity. If your talking engine, c4, adapter, dana altogether, that's a pretty long assembly that requires a lot of angle to get over core support and under the firewall. ALSO, you get into balance issues with your engine lift if the legs aren't long enough going underneath. you don't want to tip it over and drop it. I would do engine by itself then the rest.. Its safer and your less likely to damage anything.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I would install the engine and tranny separately every time. I would get the tranny / transfer case bolted up to the cross member and put a floor jack under the bell housing, and be ready to lift or lower the jack to align the engine to the tranny. Good luck

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Unless you are going to remove all the front sheet metal to get it out of the way it will be much easier to put the transmission and engine in separately.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I had the front clip completely off the frame and I still installed them separately. Putting all three in together at the same time just seems like a quick path to smashed hands or damaged parts. I am not even sure its possible to do safely on a Bronco.

Powerbyford

Loc.
Garden City, MO
I did this by myself with a 302, Dana 20 and NP435 all together last winter. 33 inch tires and all sheet metal still on. Had the hood leaning on padding against the windshield and the transmission cross member dropped out. You need to be able to tilt the assembly to thread it in but it can be done without scratching any paint. I think it was hanging with the back down about 45 degrees to start. Hardest part really was getting the motor mounts in place. Second hardest was getting the shift lever reshaped to clear everything and the retainer back in place.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Hood open to the windshield.
Engine (with pan on, accessories off) trans and transfer all attached.
Come-a-long (or good ratchet strap) wrapped around the transfer case output and to the cherry picker hook as well. Use that to get the tail over the grill.
Once the trans is in the engine bay remove the come-a-long.
Send her home, use a jack to bring up the transfer case as the engine comes down.

I've had to wrangle the motor mounts in after the engine was 95% installed. Sometimes they are good already attached, other times add them in last.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes. Some people will pull the engine to change the pan gasket as it can be a pain to do in the chassis.