• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cost to rebuild a transmission

BulldogBronco

Looking for guidance on how many hours you'd estimate to rebuild a 3 speed manual transmission from a 1972 Bronco, original transmission to the best of my knowledge. Or total price you'd expect to pay with labor, and parts, etc. Thanks in advance.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
While I have not clue as to cost.....The rebuild kit is $150

I see that Tom's has rebuilt transmissions for $695 plus core

Tim

OP
OP
BulldogBronco

BulldogBronco

While I have not clue as to cost.....The rebuild kit is $150

I see that Tom's has rebuilt transmissions for $695 plus core

Tim

Yea, I saw that too. Trying not to get too deep on cost but then I'd have to factor in shipping both ways for the core and the new unit. Thanks for the response! My mechanic has mine out and is waiting on parts, I'm just trying to get a feel on cost.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also depends on what is damaged inside. It could be a simple clean up and fresh blocking rings (syncros) and new seals, or you could have failing bearings and damaged gears.

A transmission guy doing a light refresh should have it heading out the door under an hour. A typical mechanic who is inside a manual transmission once every 5 years could easily spend half a day actually working on it.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I read the rebuild kits come with plastic thrust washers? WTH....Looks like most reused the old if they could.

Tim

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I would post in the classifieds on here that you're looking for one. Many of us just give the 3spd away when swapping to a better option.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I've rebuilt a couple of C4 autos at the cost of my time (learning) and a rebuild kit. I've also tackled a 4R70W, replace output shaft and basic worn parts put but due to the certain special equipment needed to test it, I sent it out to a transmission shop to check it out.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
My local guru did mine last time for about $350 or so, don't remember exactly. I bought the parts kit and dropped that off with the gearbox. I can ask him when I pick my spare how long it takes him, I just dropped off my spare 3 speed two weeks ago for him to go through.

I guess I'm lucky to have a local retired custom car builder with a backyard shop. Some dealerships even take their axles to him to setup ring and pinions.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I say never rebuild a std 3 speed trans. Some member here will most likely give you one.
.. Most of our trans are never totally bad we just replace them .. AKA moving forward .. TO some new style of trans to us.
....... Their easy to change ... So don't waste time & money rebuilding just get another used one .

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My experience was before the internet, so was not too aware of sources for other hand-me-downs. When I grenaded the input bearing I ended up rebuilding my own from the ground up. Replacing a few other items along the way. No kits back then either, just the individual parts.
The great thing about doing it that way, was that not only did I learn how they worked and what made them tick, but all the parts combined cost me $45 bucks! That was a good price for a rebuilt transmission even back then.

I also got two tools that I did not have. And have never needed again unfortunately, but if I do, I've got 'em!;D
That was one sweet-shifting transmission and no more popping out of gear on downhill coasting either. Big bonus there.

Oh, and back then you could still get the bronze thrust washers if you looked them up in the Jeep parts for their Dana transfer cases. By then the thrust washers for the front spindle bearings were already nylon/plastic though.
I think the bronze days were numbered. The plastic seems to last a long time since there wasn't a lot of pressure on them, and they're cheaper to produce by a ton.

Good luck Bulldog. Hopefully your price comes out acceptable for what you get.

Paul

i3adme

n00b
I wanted to learn, so I rebuilt mine. It came out to about $400 including a case swap, and paint. I'm about ready to test it. Crossing my fingers everything works. lol

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The good thing about a manual is if everything feels right, it will probably work just fine. You can click through the gears, spin the shafts. Autos pretty much need full install to see how they might work.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Broncobowsher
... That's a good assessment of how to check out the STD..
iF YOU CAN SHIFT IT ON THE BENCH & 1..2..3.. yOU'VE MOST LIKELY WON THE BATTLE .