• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Couple Quick Questions

EODMike

Hey y'all, I've got a couple of questions for the more experienced guys.

1973 U15 Wagon

1. I'm working on repainting my dash and on the inside is written "1979" in what looks like magic marker. To my knowledge this is the first time the dash has been off since production. It has been cut for a radio though by a PO. Is that some kind of sequencing number? Or maybe whomever cut the dash wrote that for some reason?

2. I am getting ready to remount the body in a couple/few weeks and I have switched over to an NP435. What is the best way or place to cut out the transmission hump for the gear shifter? Looks like I would have to cut that support brace that runs right under there.

Thanks a lot for all the help, as always.

Mike

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Might not be the best or easiest, just the way I did it. I cut out most of the top of center hump and made a new plate to cover the entire hole. It made things easier when I installed the twin sticks I built as well.
Here are a couple pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2141.jpg
    IMG_2141.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

Might not be the best or easiest, just the way I did it. I cut out most of the top of center hump and made a new plate to cover the entire hole. It made things easier when I installed the twin sticks I built as well.
Here are a couple pics.

That looks great. My friend who is helping me with some stuff was suggesting doing it that way too. I'm not sure if I will do the twin sticks, but it looks cool. Thank you for your input.

Mike

OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

Here are a couple pics.

How much did you have to bend the shift handle? Did you have a template or just keep testing fit?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I think I bent it at about 3/4" above the ball on the shifter. Not positive I can measure it tomorrow, my Bronco is at a Buddies shop, he has more room than I do. I did not have a template, I got the tranny from a Bronco guy, he had it bent but it hit my heater box so I had to make the bend a bit sharper.

OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

I think I bent it at about 3/4" above the ball on the shifter. Not positive I can measure it tomorrow, my Bronco is at a Buddies shop, he has more room than I do. I did not have a template, I got the tranny from a Bronco guy, he had it bent but it hit my heater box so I had to make the bend a bit sharper.

Cool, thanks. I'm switching over from the three on the tree.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I forgot to mention that I have a 1" body lift as well. I would recommend one if you don't have one. It gave me the extra room I needed for the install. I will post up a pic with a measurement of the shifter tomorrow when I get down there so you can see how close it is to the heater box. I think the previous owner had a 2 or 3 inch body lift which made the shifter a bit longer.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
The top of the bend is about 1" from the top of the ball on the shifter. If you don't have a body lift you will have to bend it more I am pretty sure. Hope it helps. Good luck!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1973 U15 Wagon

1. I'm working on repainting my dash and on the inside is written "1979" in what looks like magic marker. To my knowledge this is the first time the dash has been off since production. It has been cut for a radio though by a PO. Is that some kind of sequencing number? Or maybe whomever cut the dash wrote that for some reason?

Just out of curiosity, what are the last four digits of your VIN?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And also out of curiosity, if yours is an early '73 does it have a "P" or a "Q" in the VIN?
If so, pop over to Viperwolf1's "Mind Your P's and Q's" thread and add your info.

Paul

OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

I forgot to mention that I have a 1" body lift as well. I would recommend one if you don't have one. It gave me the extra room I needed for the install. I will post up a pic with a measurement of the shifter tomorrow when I get down there so you can see how close it is to the heater box. I think the previous owner had a 2 or 3 inch body lift which made the shifter a bit longer.

Yeah, I have a 1" body lift that will be put on before I put the body back on.

OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

And also out of curiosity, if yours is an early '73 does it have a "P" or a "Q" in the VIN?
If so, pop over to Viperwolf1's "Mind Your P's and Q's" thread and add your info.

Paul

I've seen some date stamps and stuff showing December 1972. No P or Q in the VIN. U15GLR52993

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I forgot to take my phone when I went down and took the measurement. I will go back down in the morning and take a shot for you. My apologies for leaving my brain in neutral all day!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
If you are doing an NP 435 you really should consider this WH item.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200328-105018_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200328-105018_Samsung Internet.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
EODMike

EODMike

I forgot to take my phone when I went down and took the measurement. I will go back down in the morning and take a shot for you. My apologies for leaving my brain in neutral all day!

No worries, I appreciate your help.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I got hung up at home today doing other things, I am going down in the morning for sure. I will post up as soon as I get the picks.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I got a pic this morning finally. This is a pic with the tranny in 1st gear, its pretty close, 1/2" or so.

Attachments

• IMG_3206.jpg
    IMG_3206.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 10