• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coyote compatability

Broncobowsher

Total hack
By a ton to make it work, that is just the tip of the iceberg.
That is the cheap part of the engine swap. There is a lot of little nickle and dime stuff (as in $50 here, $100 there) that will be more than that engine is used.

Everytime I do one of these projects and get something incomplete it comes back to haunt me. You are better off getting the complete (wrecked) vehicle. It very quickly turns into the less expensive way of doing it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’ve seen $25,000 quoted several times here on this forum for a coyote swap.
There are probably ways to lower that some by clever buying, but there are probably also as many ways to double down by making purchase mistakes up front.

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

By a ton to make it work, that is just the tip of the iceberg.
That is the cheap part of the engine swap. There is a lot of little nickle and dime stuff (as in $50 here, $100 there) that will be more than that engine is used.

Everytime I do one of these projects and get something incomplete it comes back to haunt me. You are better off getting the complete (wrecked) vehicle. It very quickly turns into the less expensive way of doing it.

Awesome man I totally get it. You get the wrecked used vehicle and have all the accessory parts correct? Like literally everything off what was once a running rig?

What are the top 3 “compatible” vehicles and years to look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't know compatible vehicles. Never done, nor plan to do a Coyote swap. Have not much research. Not even up to speed on all the generations of Coyote engines.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And transmission compatibility. You either have to have a transmission that works with the coyote, or some kind of adapter to allow transmissions from earlier engines to play nice with it.

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
The link you posted was for a Mustang Coyote engine...the engine will work but the transmission is a 2WD.

I would suggest you do a ton of research before moving forward with a Coyote swap. There is some info here and there is a Facebook group called Early Coyote swapped Broncos that also has some good information. Read everything you can and suggest looking at the build threads of a few done here...lot of good info on what works and what caused issues.

Get very familiar with the generations of engines from Mustang's and F150's and which transmissions/control packs go with which generation.
Would also suggest understanding which vendors offer what products for the swap (BC, Kincer/Krawlers Edge, Power By The Hour, etc). Try to stick with one vendor as much as possible...the motor mounts you use determine the position the motor sits which can impact the fitment of your headers, serpentine, starter, oil filter, crossmember, etc.

I am doing a Gen 2 Mustang with a 6R80 4x4 trans from a 2016 F150. In the early stages but have tried to buy as many parts now due to long backorders/lead times. It is an expensive swap but almost everything Bronco can get expensive.

I know using the existing computer can be done but it takes somebody changing the PCM to turn off the PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System)...the computer looks for all parts of the system in order to function...if they arent all present then it wont function correctly as an anti theft deterrent. I went with a Ford Control Pack in lieu of using the factory stuff.

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
May I ask why?
What time frame do you expect to get coyote swap done?
something to ask yourself.

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

It’s an internal battle. I feel like if someone approached me and said they can do a swap for $anyamount and they can get it done in 3 weeks if do it. Honest the only thing holding me back is not fully understanding what it takes, and how much energy it will require.

I saw a 96 F150 XL for sale close to me for $3K. I can buy it tomorrow morning and what’s frustrating is that I haven’t had time to research if this example would be “compatible” to my 74. Not only would I have an engine swap with all the components, but I’d also have a bad ass truck!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 96 would have a Windsor based engine if a V-8, or perhaps a 300ci in-line six.
None of which is a straight bolt in without changing things.
Is it four-wheel-drive? If not then the transmission won’t work. If it is then the transmission might work, or it might not. And for sure the transfer case would be a lot of work to fit into the bronco, so you’d be adapting the other stuff to the transfer case.

I’m assuming that you don’t think that that your truck would have a coyote. But I thought that’s what you were talking about last.
Either of the V8’s, whether a 5.0/302 or a 5.8/351 will bolt into the bronco. But you can’t use any of the truck fuel injection stuff because it’s too tall. So you could go back to a carburetor on them, or retrofit another type of fuel injection set up.
That’s what I meant by it won’t just bolt in.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
2011 was the first year of the Coyote. I've seen them as low as 5K on a pallet with harness and the gas peddle (which you need).

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
96 F150 isn't that great. The '96-01 Explorer on the other hand is the best drop in option out there. So many good parts in that package that just work in a Bronco.

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

96 F150 isn't that great. The '96-01 Explorer on the other hand is the best drop in option out there. So many good parts in that package that just work in a Bronco.

Would an explorer sport work? The two door one?

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

Would an explorer sport work? The two door one?

Never mind it has a V6.

So basically 96-01 explorer 4 door with V8 is what I’m looking for?

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

No. 96-01 Explorer 5.0 V8.

Totally, thank you. I read further and it’s only a V6.

Thank you!!

And from a V8 we can pull the motor, trans, and auxiliary parts? Fuel components, fans, electric, etc etc?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Never mind it has a V6.

So basically 96-01 explorer 4 door with V8 is what I’m looking for?

The 2-doors never came with a V8.
V8 Explorers are getting harder to find these days, as they are 20+ yrs old in some cases.

Yes a complete rig... Engine, Trans (2 or 4 whl drive each one has different adapters needed) EFI harness/ECU, motor front dress, and assorted other pieces. Well documented swap here on Classic. Look for EFI Guy threads on ECU reflash and harness mods, of his YouTube videos to do it yourself.

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
Would this work in my 74? I assume it’s going to take a ton to make it work, but if I wanted to ruin myself financially, is it possible?

Keep looking you can find something better with less miles on it
I bought 1 gen 3 with 10 speed for 8k with 5k miles on it
call me if you want more info on listings you come across