• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cummins install....

M

Miley

Pardon the mud spots in the engine bay and the partially finished engine, but....

Added a progress page and will attempt to list all parts and prices used in conversion!

More pics added on the Home Page. Just click the link below.

;D

Attachments

• IMG_3703.jpg
    IMG_3703.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,364
  • IMG_3705.jpg
    IMG_3705.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,092
  • IMG_3707.jpg
    IMG_3707.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_3738.jpg
    IMG_3738.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,250
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Miley

(in Elvis dialect....)

Thank you, thank you vur much!

I really wanted to wait until I finished painting the head and valve covers before posting any pics, but damnit I couldn't.

That sucker fits in there like the Bronco was made for it. As you see it in the pictures, it is bolted to the NV4500. We did end up having to cut off the factory engine mounts and are in the process of fabbing up the new ones. I was hoping I was going to be able to use them, but they really don't line up quite right. Hopefully, it will be sitting in there without the aid of a cherry picker by the end of this weekend!!! ;D ;D ;D

Yippeeee

Jim

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
That is awesome! I've seen 4BT's in other vehicles and they do awesome off the road.

Since I usually advocate massive amounts of horsepower, me embracing this oil burner might surprise some. Still that's pretty damn cool to have something that makes over 300 ft/lbs of torque at 1500 RPM.

Looks good and keep the pictures flowin'!

OP
OP
M

Miley

edjolly said:
What size is the diesel? Did you have to machine your own adaptor to the tranny? Do tell!

Ed

The engine is a 3.9 liter Cummins turbo diesel. They can be found in Frito Lay vans, Dolly Madison step vans, and FedEx trucks.

Mine is a 125 hp / 325 tq engine. With very minor adjustments, they easily put out 150 hp and over 400 tq! The marine version of this motor is tuned to 250 hp and a little over 500 tq ;D

The real beauty of it is the mileage. A friend of mine put one in a Dodge M715 1 1/2 ton military truck. He runs an NV4500, NP205 divorced, 4.56 gears, and 38's. His truck weighs in at 7000 lbs and he get over 30 mpg at 55 mph and 25 mpg at just over 65 mph.

OOOOhhhhhhhh. :eek:

He went wheeling with some friends on a 2 day trail ride in the Appalachians. His gas buddies burnt well over 20 gallons, and some had to get the Jerry cans out to get out of the mountains. Lee burned a hair over 5 gallons. He said it had so much torque, that he just put it in 3rd gear and rear low and let it idle over everthing.

I'm so stoked!

Jim

OP
OP
M

Miley

edjolly said:
What size is the diesel? Did you have to machine your own adaptor to the tranny? Do tell!

Ed

Ha! I forgot to answer your qestion.

NO MACHINING AT ALL!!!

The Cummins 4BT is dimensionally identical to its' big brother the 6BT. This is the 12 valve engine used in the pre-ISB 24 valve dodges (up to about 2000 I think). Therefore, the motor plate, bell housing, flywheel, EVERYTHING from a 3/4 Dodge cummins bolts up to this engine.

One more cool thing. The power steering pump is off of a mini truck (FedEX). It is a Saginaw with dual return lines (for Hydroboost - which I run) and it is GEAR driven! No more freakin chirping of the belt.

Did I mention I'm stoked?

Jim

OP
OP
M

Miley

Just another tidbit of info...

At idle - 700 rpm - it generates 186 tq!

Not off idle, but at idle.

Booyah baby, booyah!

Jim (again)

OP
OP
M

Miley

Here is a sweet shot of the 4BT mated to a Dodge 3500 NV4500 tranny in Lee's M715. That is one sweet rig! I'll post a link to his website as soon as I find it.

He has a sweet video of him pulling a stuck full size bronco, which is trying to pull a new TJ, out of about 3 feet of mud and water. Once he get's them to dry ground they both hit their brakes and try to stop him. The jeep even throws it in gear and tries to stop him. Lee just keeps on pulling them BOTH around the mudpit towards the camera.

To cool.

Wait, found the link...

Check it out

http://homepage.mac.com/ltalessi/FileSharing73.html

Bear in mind, Lee has not rebuilt this motor and it is rated at 105 hp and 280 tq!

Jim

Attachments

• 4bt-nv4500-5.jpg
    4bt-nv4500-5.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 965

IronBenderII

that is way cool... I'm a big loud motor type of guy but you can't argue with the functionality.

Jack

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Miley-glad to see it coming together. Definitely take good notes, photos and measurements. I think there will be many interested people on this conversion. Keep us posted, but keep the progress coming.