• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel swap

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
Has anyone done this swap yet? My builder is leaning me in that direction, he has done a lot of diesel swaps into EBs and just did a Cummins R2-8 one in a land cruiser. I'm real impressed with the numbers of this engine. I'm old and don't want a street rod, just one for a daily driver. My roadster will stay original but am thinking of doing this swap into my half cab.
Let me hear your thought good or bad.
Thanks

PS my main concern is both of these early broncos are consecutive VINs and are both built on or around the 10th of sept 65.
I am the type that wants to keep them as original condition and the value at their best. I also want a daily driver that has more torque and speed.

Last edited:

68ford

Bronco Guru
You mentioned more torque and speed. 160hp and 310 TQ is about the same as a decent running stock 289/302 with a 2 barrel carb.
Seems like a lot of money and then labor money for considerably low numbers.
MPG is likely good, but doubt it will pay for itself

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Find another recipient for your Cummins, I would be hard pressed to modify the consecutive vins

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My stock Lincoln 1990 fuel injected motor is 160 hp and 280 of torque at 2000 rpm. Pretty close have some fun if you got the cash build a nice 347 unless you just love diesels

EB70

I'm probably the one guy who is a huge fan of the 2.8. I just like the idea of the MPG etc. I think it would be cool for sure.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Considering it is a NEW engine, every single nut bolt and part is NEW. The price isn't that bad. Price a Ford Motorsports Coyote engine and see what you get? I don't count most 347s as they start with used parts (the "seasoned" block). Don't forget the computer, harness, the full accessory drive. Just about everything exhaust, intake, cooling system, and maybe the lift pump to get the diesel to the engine.

Digger556

Has anyone done this swap yet? My builder is leaning me in that direction, he has done a lot of diesel swaps into EBs and just did a Cummins R2-8 one in a land cruiser. I'm real impressed with the numbers of this engine. I'm old and don't want a street rod, just one for a daily driver. My roadster will stay original but am thinking of doing this swap into my half cab.
Let me hear your thought good or bad.
Thanks

PS my main concern is both of these early broncos are consecutive VINs and are both built on or around the 10th of sept 65.
I am the type that wants to keep them as original condition and the value at their best. I also want a daily driver that has more torque and speed.

The R2.8 Cummins is an awesome engine and I would recommend it to about anyone. However if you have consecutive numbers trucks, I would have a hard time saying go for it. The vehicle mods required to install one are not reversible. I had to remove the factory motor mounts, cut a giant hole in the core support, modify the hood, modify cross members etc.

My truck was highly cut and chopped to start with, it wasnt a hard choice.

A roller block 302 and throttle body EFI is probably your best choice to gain driveability and keep a stock look. I efi'd my 351 and daily drove it. It was pretty nice except for the 13-14 mpg. You won't beat the diesel for mileage or range.

OP
OP
T-Bird

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
Thanks Bronco Chicken for posting that link. I searched and searched and couldn't find anything. Yes, my mind is blown now, but gives me a lot to think about.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
The other build looks like he tried to do a lot of custom things. I would like to see a real simple approach to installing and what is essential only.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Start by picking a transmission. There are a varity of adaptors on the market. NV3550 was one of the first, another makes it like an LS, so any transmission that fits an LS will work.

Next up take a read of the installation manual. There are a lot of details and specifications in there. You really need to read that or you can screw up your new engine. And face it, anyone spending money like this is not going to be doing a cobble job like you see when a 4BT is typically crammed in on the cheap.

Digger556

Start by picking a transmission. There are a varity of adaptors on the market. NV3550 was one of the first, another makes it like an LS, so any transmission that fits an LS will work.

Next up take a read of the installation manual. There are a lot of details and specifications in there. You really need to read that or you can screw up your new engine. And face it, anyone spending money like this is not going to be doing a cobble job like you see when a 4BT is typically crammed in on the cheap.

True. I've spent a lot of time reading the install manual, asking questions on the forum (repowerowners.com) and even speaking with the program manager. There is a lot of detail that goes unappreciated.

Digger556

The other build looks like he tried to do a lot of custom things. I would like to see a real simple approach to installing and what is essential only.

Out of curiosity, what things stick out to you? What would you simplify?

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
If I recall correctly there was a lot of customization for transmission, cad drawings and a lot of additional complexities. It's nothing negative about the install, I would just like to see what would be a simple straight forward install without spending years building, computer drawing and milling parts. In short is there a way to use bolt in parts with little body or frame mods.