• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Currently the best stock PS box rebuild company

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I have looked through a lot of the threads on the stock PS box rebuild subject.

I figured I might ask again, to see if anyone has fallen out of favor or has gone out of business, changed hands etc which may impact quality.

Looking at AGR, Blue top, Lee's and PSC.

Shipping is a factor as I will need to ship out and then pay to ship back obviously.

TIA!

BanditBronco

My advice would be to find the most recommended steering/drivetrain shop in your area and see if they will do it. The box is about as basic as they come, most don't have some secret sauce that makes one so much better than the other.

In AZ, we are lucky to have one of the best box builders in the country right through the back door. Minh, the owner of Minh Worx who used to be the builder for Benchworks just opened up his own shop. He has built his fair share of Bronco boxes as Benchworks was always a sponsor for our annual AZ Bronco Stampede. If you want his info PM me, I will shoot you his number.

Those would be my two recommendations before checking with some of the bigger names you listed.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
My advice would be to find the most recommended steering/drivetrain shop in your area and see if they will do it. The box is about as basic as they come, most don't have some secret sauce that makes one so much better than the other.

In AZ, we are lucky to have one of the best box builders in the country right through the back door. Minh, the owner of Minh Worx who used to be the builder for Benchworks just opened up his own shop. He has built his fair share of Bronco boxes as Benchworks was always a sponsor for our annual AZ Bronco Stampede. If you want his info PM me, I will shoot you his number.

Those would be my two recommendations before checking with some of the bigger names you listed.
Please PM his number.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I just ordered a reseal kit from partsgeek. $17.95. I was going to pack a PS box with me on a trip to Washington and take it to the Red-Head Steering Gears Shop in Auburn, WA. but it's still a $600. rebuild so I'll just tackle it myself at home and not deal with the baggage.

BruiserOutdoors

Redhead does a fantastic job. box it up in a large flat rate box (USPS, weight doesn't matter under 75 LBS IIRC) with added support and ship it one way for a flat rate of $22.45 or so.

NCSUWoj

Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
I had Redhead rebuild an EB box for me about 2 years ago. Not super happy with the rebuild. I think there is more play in it than it should be, but I can't convince myself to take it back off, eat the shipping to send it back and wait to get it back....
I bought a rebuilt box from Bluetop back during the summer for a 2002 F250 and was really impressed with it/them. I would likely return to bluetop as a customer before redhead but that's just with my limited experience.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I knew they were there but didn't know anyone that had used them. Thats about 4hours from my house, so I could drop it off and pick up too.
I'm still in the middle of a frame off, so I have not driven with the rebuild box. But it seams pretty tight turning by hand, slop wise.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I'm still in the middle of a frame off, so I have not driven with the rebuild box. But it seams pretty tight turning by hand, slop wise.
Again, that's great to hear. Might have to give them a try, especially if I find another reason to make the drive.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I have looked through a lot of the threads on the stock PS box rebuild subject.

I figured I might ask again, to see if anyone has fallen out of favor or has gone out of business, changed hands etc which may impact quality.

Looking at AGR, Blue top, Lee's and PSC.

Shipping is a factor as I will need to ship out and then pay to ship back obviously.

TIA!

Wasn't west tx offroad a big one back a few years ago that folks highly recommended..

BruiserOutdoors

Wasn't west tx offroad a big one back a few years ago that folks highly recommended..
I sent them 2 PS boxes to do the 4x4x2 conversion and get it ported. the work was done timely but the packaging was insufficient and there was a price increase while my parts were in the process of being worked on. I have yet to actually use the box, but less than satisfied with my experience/customer service. just my $0.02....

I would say you might want to call TOMS OFFROAD next week and ask about what they are working on and lead times.........

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I would say you might want to call TOMS OFFROAD next week and ask about what they are working on and lead times.........
Thanks for weighing in but I am way to far to from Toms to ship a part to them, heck I don't buy parts from them for that reason.

Besides I can find better shops to this type of work as well..

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Big muddy where do you live. I'm thinkin your here in Texas with me.
i've used PSC. 3 TIMES & been satisfied .... But I'm thinking you over in Dallas . If so there's a place on I20 or I30. about 5 miles from downtown Dallas . the address i have in my phone is 3641 E. Kiest Blvd , Dallas Tx.
214-942-8741.... &214-942-0871... I may have 2 different shops in my mind. ut that phone number .you can ask them if theydo those boxes & where their located.
not sure why I have 2 phone numbers . buy you might give them a phone call. WE Used them to rebuild some special P/S UNITS.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Big muddy where do you live. I'm thinkin your here in Texas with me.
i've used PSC. 3 TIMES & been satisfied .... But I'm thinking you over in Dallas . If so there's a place on I20 or I30. about 5 miles from downtown Dallas . the address i have in my phone is 3641 E. Kiest Blvd , Dallas Tx.
214-942-8741.... &214-942-0871... I may have 2 different shops in my mind. ut that phone number .you can ask them if theydo those boxes & where their located.
not sure why I have 2 phone numbers . buy you might give them a phone call. WE Used them to rebuild some special P/S UNITS.
Happy New Year PaPITT! I have spent many a good year roaming around Texas on work travels but have yet to move there.
I do appreciate you passing on the phone numbers!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I sent them 2 PS boxes to do the 4x4x2 conversion and get it ported. the work was done timely but the packaging was insufficient and there was a price increase while my parts were in the process of being worked on. I have yet to actually use the box, but less than satisfied with my experience/customer service. just my $0.02....

Good to know...