• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cutting down rear axles-measurement help!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I recently got my hands on a full width 31 spline 9". I would like to take the 3rd member out, drop it into my existing big bearing EB housing and get the 31 spline axles cut and resplined to fit. However, both of the F150 axles are the same length, whereas the big bearing EB axles I'd be pulling out are two different lengths (one is about three inches shorter). Will I need to get the F150 axles cut to two different lengths to match what I've got now, or do I get them cut to the same length since I will also be using the F150 third member?

If you respond to this post, please do not give me your best guess, if you don't know for sure, you can't help me ::)

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Re:Cutting down rear axles

Why don't you just go ahead and find a full length front axle, and do the full length swap. It would be easier then cutting, and give you a super aggressive look.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Re:Cutting down rear axles

Because I already spent big money on the Drum Dana 30 to Disc Dana 44 last year and don't want to incur the cost of another front end.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes the new axles need to match your old ones there are no offset differances between third members its built into the axle housing thats, the easiest way is just order new 31 spl axles for your old rearend a lot of places sell them

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Send them to Moser. They will cut and respline both to length @ $95 for the pair. And yes, the EB carrier isn't perfectly center, so one shaft will be shorter than the other.

Trigger

I did a 31 spline conversion a while ago and still have my old 28 spline axles over in the corner. From the end of axle shaft to the inside of the flange: the long side is 29 1/4" and the short side is 26 7/8".
Trigger