• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D30 Axle Seals

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I am still limping my original D30 along since it has discs and has been fine for my use of the rig.

However I am on my third set of inner axle seals in about 6 years. Last time I think I paid extra to get some "heavy duty" axle seals but do not remember the brand or part number. Not sure how heavy duty since they only lasted 2 years and 2000 miles...

I look forward to completely disassemble the front diff and brakes for a $10 seal.

armynavy17

Contributor
I'm sure you're already on top of it, but failing seals usually have an underlying cause, not just bad parts, though that does happen all to often these days.

What are the condition of the axle shafts, any pitting or grooving? Often a new seal can be installed in a little different place to ride on a new section of the shaft.

What is the condition of the bearings? Play in the bearings causes the axle shaft to wear the seal unevenly and causes early failure.

I'm sure there are other things to look into, but this is what comes to my mind first.

armynavy17

Contributor
Also, have you been putting a thin coat of rtv on the outside of the seal prior to installation? It helps fill in any irregularities and blocks another path for leakage. Not much of an issue when the seal's just holding back grease, but definitely comes up when they're holding back oil.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I'll check to see if the axles are straight. Each time I do this job I clean and adjust the bearings which are also new (<6000 miles) I'll check them again. The u-joints are super crusty but since they have not broken yet I keep running them. I would not expect them to have any impact on inner bearing seals.