• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D44 spider gears

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are the spider gears the same in a 3.91 down and 3.92 up carrier?

I have a 3.92 up that I bought to put an EZ locker in that didn't come with spider gears....wondering if I can use the spider gears from another open carrier (3.54).

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pretty sure they are the same but I'm confused at what exactly you want to do?

I want to put 4.11 gears in the front of my son's rig. The only carrier I have that I can use these gears on does not have spider gears in it. I was hoping the spider gears out of a 3.91 down carrier would work.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't recall ever seeing any differences in the D44 spider gears.
Some of the newer stuff (in the past 5 years or so) is different, but I don't think it has anything to do with gear ratio.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pretty sure they are the same but I'm confused at what exactly you want to do?

Well..that's because the way I asked my question it is confusing...sorry.
I no longer plan to use the EZ locker (took it out of my 73) and had that open carrier laying around but it has no internals.

I am in Texas working and all my/our junk is in MS. So I sit here thinking about all that we need to do and can do before we need to by more stuff...when I actually need to be working.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't recall ever seeing any differences in the D44 spider gears.
Some of the newer stuff (in the past 5 years or so) is different, but I don't think it has anything to do with gear ratio.

Thanks..I was hoping they were the same.