• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Daily driving an EB

rockydog101

Hi all,

I've been reading up on these beautiful EBs for a couple of weeks now, and am really wanting to restore and get into one. If I build one, I would really want it to be a daily driver. Not a daily driver in the sense that I would put a ton of miles on it every day, but in the sense that 2-3 times per week I'd take it to work, to the store, etc. It would *never* go off road (intentionally!)

So, my question, is how is the ride quality in these beasts? I assume there is a difference between the stock and aftermarket suspensions, and the types of tires and wheels you choose. I like the look of the classic wheels with a 2.5" lift. Is it a very rough ride, or can it be made somewhat smooth? Does it feel like driving a Go Cart?

Also, I understand the EB lacks basically all modern creature comforts. I would add a radio, and being in south Louisiana, I would add the aftermarket airconditioner.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
We bought ours new in '77. It's undergone an evolution in its life. The suspension has been replaced three times. Mostly pretty stiff. Now It's set up more for use as an expedition type use. The suspension now is variable rate front and 11 leaf rears. I also went back to one shock per wheel and a bit narrower tires. I don't think the car was this soft and comfortable when it was new. ;)

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Hi all,

I've been reading up on these beautiful EBs for a couple of weeks now, and am really wanting to restore and get into one. If I build one, I would really want it to be a daily driver. Not a daily driver in the sense that I would put a ton of miles on it every day, but in the sense that 2-3 times per week I'd take it to work, to the store, etc. It would *never* go off road (intentionally!)

So, my question, is how is the ride quality in these beasts? I assume there is a difference between the stock and aftermarket suspensions, and the types of tires and wheels you choose. I like the look of the classic wheels with a 2.5" lift. Is it a very rough ride, or can it be made somewhat smooth? Does it feel like driving a Go Cart?

Also, I understand the EB lacks basically all modern creature comforts. I would add a radio, and being in south Louisiana, I would add the aftermarket airconditioner.

Better than I thought. With the Variable rate springs, even with quad shocks the ride quality is pretty nice. I have a 2.5 lift with 33'' tires. I used to kid my son that when finished I would be able to to tell when I ran over a dime, but that's far from the truth.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Its like anything else, you get out of them what you put into them. Most of the aftermarket springs from the major vendors will give you what I consider to be a nice ride for a 4x4. Not like driving a new truck by any stretch, but certainly not bad either. It sounds to me like you need to go drive a few of them to really answer your questions.

Mine has 4.5" of suspension lift, 37x12.5 tires and some good quality shocks (single, reservoir style). Most people tell me that my rig rides really nice down the road. You just can't expect sports car handling, but with the right parts they can be quite comfortable.

I really enjoy driving mine around town. I sometimes take it on weekend trips that don't involve camping/4-wheeling (going to visit family an hour and a half away, etc).

Good luck to you.

Deano

Bronco Guru
I drive 2 out of 4 on a regular basises and my stock one rides ruff don't drive the greatest small I6 that gets 20 mpg but I enjoy it none the less. The other one is rather large 7.5" SL 3"body 40" tires and has two shocks per wheel rides kinda smooth handles like its on rails on curvy roads and has lots of HP and gets 4 mpg. I guess I need to work some more on the stock one a bit more to make it drive a bit better.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome and to your post-the allure of a DD early bronco has been a hashed out many times and is an interesting subject to read input from folks. The above responses have addressed some of the spring,lift, stock etc. issues. With gas prices starting to spike once again,read expect +0.25 per gallon by mid-August, unless you are in the biz.....I would seriously consider other avenues for your DD. IF you are cool with high teens to 20ish mpg go for it. Some of the recent mod motor conversions with OD autos are getting a legit 20-22mpg with descent power. Reference screamin' demon mod motor build up in Bronco Driver.
Let us know what you decide-good luck.

hucklburry rev2

They can offer a nice ride with the newer suspensions, but its still a short wheelbase rig, so it will never be a cadillac or extended cab truck, but it can be just fine, especially with good seats. And it will appreciate in value.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Im seriously thinking about making mine a DD. I currently drive a 06 Dodge 4 door 4X4 with 35s and a Cummins. Diesel is right up there with premium gas and since its a 3/4 ton truck it doesn't exactly ride like a Caddy anyway. Even though I have about 6K worth of suspension on it. I get around 15 MPG around town so my fuel bill should stay about the same. I should easily get about 25K for it when I sell. Its in great shape with brand new Toyo Mts on it and 55K on the odometer. I figure I dump 20K in the Bronco and it should be pretty nice. Spend the other 5K on a decent work truck and Im golden. That's the start of a plan anyway.