• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dakota digital gauge cluster mounting

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Howdy everyone! I'm not sure if this is chat or tech so I decided to put it in chat.

I have a Dakota digital gauge cluster and I seem to be missing the fasteners which would attach it to the bezel. It has four unthreaded holes in the plastic body which are about number 6 screw size.

I bought four number six machine screws, but on two of the holes there isn't room for a bolt on the back side. I also bought four number 8 sheet metal screws of appropriate length which would thread into the holes in the gauge cluster and hold it in place.

I was wondering what was provided with the gauge cluster originally, or how people are mounting their gauge clusters to the bezel?

THX
-JB

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are normally for “speed clips“ or whatever they are called snapped around the openings in the bezel.
At least if my memory serves, I think that’s what you’re talking about and needing.
There are probably some pictures around somewhere but I can’t search for them on my phone. Maybe on our website a picture of the gauge bezels might show the clips.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
There are normally for “speed clips“ or whatever they are called snapped around the openings in the bezel.
At least if my memory serves, I think that’s what you’re talking about and needing.
There are probably some pictures around somewhere but I can’t search for them on my phone. Maybe on our website a picture of the gauge bezels might show the clips.
Thanks DirtDonk. I was actually able to dig up the speed clips at our local Ace hardware.
I was talking about whatever holds the actual gauge cluster to the bezel. The gauge cluster has four holes in the plastic nylon body at about 10:00 2:00 4:00 and 8:00. Each of the holes is about three quarters in deep and all the way through, but not threaded. I'll try and take a picture and attach it.
A 3/4-in number 8 sheet metal screw will bite into the plastic nylon body and secure the gauge cluster I just don't know if that's the way it's supposed to be done?

THX,
JB

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Here's the screws I wonder about:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220628-181825_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220628-181825_Drive.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 29

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gotcha. Not sure then.
Biting into the plastic does make some sense, but like you I’d say wait until someone that has done it recently chimes in.
Did you call DD? Does it say anything in their instructions? Presumably not, but I had to ask.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I just did this... I used sheet metal screws to hold the DD to the metal mounting bezel.
Didn't really look to see if they were #6, #8, #10, or ?. One was too small, one was too big, the last one bit into the plastic just enough to hold everything together.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I'll call Dakota when I have a moment free. The instructions say to use the original screws, but obviously I've lost those already.

Thanks,
JB

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I'll call Dakota when I have a moment free. The instructions say to use the original screws, but obviously I've lost those already.

Thanks,
JB

The original screws to hold the bezel in place to DD are too large. You can however reuse the screws that hold the bezel to the dash...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Howdy everyone! I'm not sure if this is chat or tech so I decided to put it in chat.

I have a Dakota digital gauge cluster and I seem to be missing the fasteners which would attach it to the bezel. It has four unthreaded holes in the plastic body which are about number 6 screw size.

I bought four number six machine screws, but on two of the holes there isn't room for a bolt on the back side. I also bought four number 8 sheet metal screws of appropriate length which would thread into the holes in the gauge cluster and hold it in place.

I was wondering what was provided with the gauge cluster originally, or how people are mounting their gauge clusters to the bezel?

THX
-JB

put it where it makes the most sense sir...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Thanks,
JB

Making that phone call always seems to be the quickest, and most precise way to get the best answer..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Gotcha. Not sure then.
Biting into the plastic does make some sense, but like you I’d say wait until someone that has done it recently chimes in.
Did you call DD? Does it say anything in their instructions? Presumably not, but I had to ask.

Just google it DOH :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Just google it DOH :ROFLMAO:
Well I did Google it, that's why I posted a question on this form.

With gratitude to the people who contributed previously, I bought the gauge cluster from another member of The forum and it doesn't seem to have included the specific little tiny screws or whatever that would attach the gauge cluster to the bezel.

I thought that's the reason this form existed?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well I did Google it, that's why I posted a question on this form.

With gratitude to the people who contributed previously, I bought the gauge cluster from another member of The forum and it doesn't seem to have included the specific little tiny screws or whatever that would attach the gauge cluster to the bezel.

I thought that's the reason this form existed?

I was just messing w/you--apologies MOST Certainly ask ask anytime!!! A wealth of knowledge and better to ask if you don' t know

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
No harm no foul. I work in it and often end up walking over to somebody's desk and typing the question they just asked me into Google 🤣