• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dana 20 extreme output shaft help please

mustanggarage

Contributor
has anyone on here installed a wild horses extreme output shaft for the dana 20. I am trying to get my drivetrain together. i have the dana 20 ready to install the ax 15 adapter, but I go to put the 13 needle bearings in the output shaft, and they will not fit. these are the bearings I got in my Super Deluxe Transfer Case Rebuild Kit for use with Dana 20 also from wild horses. do they send larger needle bearings in these kits to adjust for wear? anyway, I have tried several things but cant get all 13 bearings to fit. any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_4454.jpg
    IMG_4454.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4455.jpg
    IMG_4455.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 67

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
You have to push the last bearing in long ways, from the face like you are installing a peg in a hole. It is a tight fit, if you try to pop it in from the side it will not fit. I hope that makes sense, I am not the best at explaining things!

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
thanks, that was what i needed. I got it and now I am on to the next step, much appreciated.

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
You have to push the last bearing in long ways, from the face like you are installing a peg in a hole. It is a tight fit, if you try to pop it in from the side it will not fit. I hope that makes sense, I am not the best at explaining things!

Exactly what Langester said. Take the last needle bearing and put on the outside rim of the gear case holding the needle bearings. Than slowly slide it in parallel with the others. Once you've done it, you'll have a Homer Simpson moment and go "Duh" %)

If you want to go twin stick, JB fabrication is one of the vendors and makes really nice stuff. 148.00 for twin sticks

https://jb-custom-fabrication.myshopify.com/collections/ford-stainless-steel-twin-stick-shifters

Attachments

• 20170611_222354.jpg
    20170611_222354.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20170611_210340.jpg
    20170611_210340.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 49
  • 20170612_165118.jpg
    20170612_165118.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I bought the complete ax 15 kit from wild horses. it has the twin stick shifter included.

you know the really bad part about this, lol, I rebuilt the entire transfer case a month or so ago and I figured out you had to slide the last bearing in on the center shaft when doing those needle bearings, but forgot it when I was doing these. anyway thanks for the help. I got it and it is now finished and ready to install tomorrow. I already did the transmission part, the only thing holding me up is the pressure plate bolts they sent me were 5/16ths instead of 3/8ths, but I think I can pick some of those up tomorrow at oreillys

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I always wondered if I made a press fit bearing to go in there and eliminate the 13 roller bearings how it would sell, probably not well enough to offset the cost.

OP
OP
mustanggarage

mustanggarage

Contributor
I always wondered if I made a press fit bearing to go in there and eliminate the 13 roller bearings how it would sell, probably not well enough to offset the cost.

it is really not difficult to do, if you know how lol. it was stupid easy once someone told me what I was doing wrong, so I don't really see that there would be much advantage. this is one of those inner circle things. easy to do if you already know how.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't understand why you guys are letting the inner circle secrets out like this. Next thing you know "pull for heat" will be out in the open.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Don't even mention that one!

Mark

Just imagin when they also find out that you flip the seat lever the seat can lean forward. AND if you pull the whole seat up it flops foreward so you can get in the back.