• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 Rear Output shaft assembly questions

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
Have found great writeups and videos about reassembly of D-20, just have a few questions.
When I pulled mine apart, the speedometer drive gear did not spin freely on the shaft. Is it supposed to?
When I removed it, I had to use a press and bearing puller to get it off.
The directions seem to indicate that the shims and speedo drive gear should just slip on.
Should I lightly hone my drive gear so it slides on?
Confused as to why it should possible spin freely when assembled. Wouldn't this cause incorrect speedo readings?
Speedo never read correctly(jumped/excessively high) even after having cluster rebuilt and a new cable. Could the speedo drive gear have caused that?
All the rest of the directions seem straight forward except the question about the speedo drive gear.
Thanks for any help.
David

mrdrnac

Contributor
That's a good question, I don't have an answer. My was free on the shaft, but I wondered to about it spinning especially if you set the output shaft up with clearance instead of preload.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
I've only seen the gear slip on ..but not always just slip off of a 50 plus year TC..

when you set preload or clearance either way the bearings inner races ,shim ,speedo gear and yoke will all be bottomed out and then the Nut will be torqued ...speedo gear wont move on shaft ..