• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20, to reseal or not to reseal?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
So, I don’t remember what I did to my Dana 20 forever ago but I do remember that I did enough and that it did not leak and I was not planning on doing any more to it 20+ years ago. I put a coat of paint on it and it has just been sitting ever since.

Do I:
1) Leave it alone and then address if it leaks.
2) Reseal everything anyway since it’s been sitting so long, or reseal certain things?
3) Completely disassemble and rebuild? (I don’t think I need to, pretty sure it’s in outstanding shape still, no slack anywhere but how do I best gauge this now with it out?

I know I will at the very least have to modify my shift shafts as I’m going from a J-shift case to a JB Fab Twin stick cable shift but I can do that without doing anything, so I understand.

Please let me know what you’d do if this were your project. Also not sure I remember how many seals I can change without disassembly and I’m only finding so much in my searches.

Thanks!

Ben

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Normally, I would say just put it in and run it.
If you have it partially apart for the twin stick install, I would certainly consider adding a couple of new seals wherever you can, because the other ones could possibly have dried out.
But they also could possibly be in perfect shape, even after all these years.
I hate doing things like seals twice, but I hate taking a transfer case out twice even more!

Generically speaking, if it didn’t need a rebuild before then it certainly doesn’t for sitting around. But if you cleaned the internals, including bearings before you put it back together then it could’ve developed some rust in various places, even on the bearings.

If any of those things are possible, then it’s absolutely worth at the very least pulling the inspection cover off and having a very good look around inside.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Do the seal between the T case and the trans. All the others you can do without removing the case later. Cut the shift rails before you install.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Any trick to getting the bearing out or the bearing retainer so I can replace the old/new double seal?

It’s not pressed right? Just the snap ring? Got everything else apart but that is stuck and trying not to ruin it since it’s new…kinda.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Here are a couple pics. It’s just stuck right? Won’t come out.

IMG_4923.jpeg
I pounded the seal down towards the bearing so I’d have an edge to pound on from the inside but it still won’t budge.
IMG_4924.jpeg

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I got the thing off, but not until I was ok with destroying the bearing. Had to beat the crap out of it…strong bearing, still good as new.

I thought the bearing is supposed to be pressed onto the shaft and not into the retainer. Maybe it was dirty when it went in.

It’s snug when it goes on the shaft but def not press-worthy…that ok?