• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 disk brake conversion question

DeepC73

I have been looking around trying to find the answer with no success. I have an opportunity to buy a set of 1978-79 F-250 Dana 44 Steering Knuckles and Disc Brake Mounting Plates. Will they work for a drum to disc conversion? Thanks in advance.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
yes they will but they will be 8 lug.
Not sure if you can change out to a 5 lug hub with this or not.

Wes harden

Yeah iirc those rotors are 14 5/8" in diameter and 2 piston calipers. You will need 16" or 17" wheels too. Nice big brakes if you are going to run 35+ tires. Might even have the big ball locking hubs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is a guy over on another forum that is actually looking for the ones you have access to. Are they advertised, or just someone you know?
If they won't work for you do you want to pass the information on to the other guy?

Thanks

paul

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have been looking around trying to find the answer with no success. I have an opportunity to buy a set of 1978-79 F-250 Dana 44 Steering Knuckles and Disc Brake Mounting Plates. Will they work for a drum to disc conversion? Thanks in advance.
Those won't work on our trucks without some machine work on the rotors and you'll need to run 16" or larger wheels as others have noted. There used to be an article online about that conversion but I think it's since disappeared.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
DeepC73

DeepC73

There is a guy over on another forum that is actually looking for the ones you have access to. Are they advertised, or just someone you know?
If they won't work for you do you want to pass the information on to the other guy?

Thanks

paul
Sorry, I’ve been offline for a few days. The parts are for sale on FB market place in Maryland.