• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dash rewire, reuse OEM connectors or ....

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the painless harness, very nice, but I'm at the point I need to decide to use the already installed painless blade connectors, or go through the hassle of rewiring each and every plug under the dash with stock connectors.

First, OEM connectors for things like headlight switch are made to make manufacturing easy. Made to make the offhand chance of replacement easier., But mainly support a plug and play assembly line. Can you imagine a guy on an assembly line plugging each blade on each switch of each truck? Nope.

Now, I'm sitting here thinking the replacement painless harness already has very nicely crimped and sealed blade connectors which will hold as well as the OEM plug, and save me a ton of time. Downside is if there is a time later it may take a few more minutes, just a few, to swap out a headlights switch.

So what to do, breakout each and every plug, or use the painless answer right now? I'm trending to rewire the plugs for looks. But it is under the dash and only I will know, which is the problem.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are all the push-on blade connectors the standard variety, or do they have the tangs needed to themselves clip into one of the factory connectors?
Been awhile since I worked with the Painless harness, so can't remember. I thought they worked with factory connectors more than most, but don't remember that particular point. But I do seem to remember them including a supply of that type of connector for you to terminate the circuits with.

But if any of those will slip into the slots and click in, it sounds like that would be the way to go.
If on the other hand you have to cut each one off and replace it with a factory style push-on/in blade connector to fit the factory strain reliefs, I'm not sure which way to recommend.
I do know though, that if it was mine and I had the chance to do it, I would reuse as many factory connectors as possible.

If I was in a hurry to get it done and running, I'd probably just plug 'em in and go play.
What kind of schedule you running on?

Paul

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They supply the factory style tang type, but I have to cut, recrimp.

I wanted to be done in Dec of 2008.

I have no schedule.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, makes it tempting don't it?;)
I know what you're feeling. I hate to cut off perfectly good and professionally crimped wires just to do it "my way" or for more of that factory look.
I actually applaud Painless for giving us the choice of using factory by giving the connectors, but pre-terminating the circuits too. Because probably the majority of users are still not yet totally comfortable with doing their own stuff like that. Even though they've already jumped in with both feet to a re-wire!

So I stick with my idea that if you have time you should do it with the factory connectors. You're this far into it, so who knows what you might decide to do down the road to your electrical system.

Hopefully nothing! But you never know...
Helpful as hiking in Yellowstone with honey on your backpack?;D

Paul

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I cut mine and crimped on the supplied connectors so I could use the factory. My thoughts are that it's that much easier to swap switches in the future. Truth is I'm not that good at electrical so I don't think I could remember where each individual wire went if I had to go by memory!

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, reality hit, I'm using the painless loom as is. I'll bag up the stock connectors for the next adventurous soul to put them on.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
There is absolutely NO advantage to reusing antique, or antique-type, connectors. For all the same reasons that you want a modern fuel system, modern engine, modern alternator, modern traction-adders, modern tires, modern trans, & modern wiring; you want modern connectors.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
They supply the factory style tang type, but I have to cut, recrimp.

I wanted to be done in Dec of 2008.

I have no schedule.

I think you'll need one of these to get done in time ;D
2D9C2D2800000578-3287242-image-m-125_1445653896654.jpg

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We actually have a guy driving one of those around my hood. Sometimes I want to ask him if I could go back 7 years and smack the guy who bought a bronco at my house on the side of the head and say "don't!".