• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Detroit Electrac Locker

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Has anyone ever heard of this locker. When not locked, it is a LS diff. The locking is actuated by an electric solenoid. It is available for the D44 axle but I wasn't sure if D44's were different between jeeps, chebby's and EB's. I am looking at different locker options for the front. This one is pricey, about $800 but it seems like a strong way to go, not to mention the "coolness" factor. Anyone got any info?

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
I had the Electrac locker install in the D44 that I rebuilt for mine, I really haven't put it to the test but it is definitly bad to the bone!
Some on here have run this in the rocks already! and say good things about it!
1053473903_frontend2.jpg

velpoe

Loc.
Cumberland, MD
Damn! I want one! I just can't afford it right now :mad:.

I saw a post some time back, maybe on another list, from Chuck saying that he's installed several and that they work great.

77BroncoWag

Bronco Guru
[quote author=velpoe link=board=5;threadid=19924;start=0#msg152988 date=1058041684]
Damn! I want one! I just can't afford it right now :mad:.

I saw a post some time back, maybe on another list, from Chuck saying that he's installed several and that they work great.
[/quote]

how much is installation?

OP
OP
74bronc

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Besides the price, it does look bad to the bone. I might do it in the fall if I can scrape together some $$$. I am sure there are cheaper alternatives, but that thing is just cool. I guess it does fit in the EB D44. Cool

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
It's also available for the D60-and I think the LS makes it bada$$ and totally worth the few bucks you may spend over an ARB.

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
I'm not sure exactly what the install would be for the Electrac locker alone.
(Maybe Chuck could give us and average price for install)
I had the complete front and rear axles re-geared and completely rebuilt with upgraded axles all at the same time.
I went from 3.50:1 gears to 4.56:1, with the Detroit locker in the rear axle, and with the gear change its just not the same rig anymore ;D Big difference!

velpoe

Loc.
Cumberland, MD
Hey jeff68, what tires and tranny are you running? I need to regear myself and I'm running 35's with NP435 and 3.50's. I was thinking 4.30...maybe 4.56. I'm definitely saving for the electirc detroit up front too.

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
[quote author=velpoe link=board=5;threadid=19924;start=0#msg153068 date=1058062062]
Hey jeff68, what tires and tranny are you running? I need to regear myself and I'm running 35's with NP435 and 3.50's. I was thinking 4.30...maybe 4.56. I'm definitely saving for the electirc detroit up front too.
[/quote]
I'm running 35" Procomps mud terrains, the tranny is still the stock three speed but I have the NP435 setting in the garage with the NP205 T-case. just got to get around to installing it!
I've been trying to get some body work done, working on the looks a little bit you know!

T

teknalee

you know.. if we don't have our hubs locked on the front.. that limited slip does nothing for ya.. i mean.. it's just useless... ??? it'd be cool in the rear if they made one.. actually useful but i see no reason for LS up front.. not like it can be used eh... hmm i guess it's cool to have an electric locker though!

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
[quote author=teknalee link=board=5;threadid=19924;start=0#msg153104 date=1058071869]
you know.. if we don't have our hubs locked on the front.. that limited slip does nothing for ya.. i mean.. it's just useless... ??? it'd be cool in the rear if they made one.. actually useful but i see no reason for LS up front.. not like it can be used eh... hmm i guess it's cool to have an electric locker though!
[/quote]

Why would you want a full open diff when in fwd if not locked up?? I'd think the LS is WAY better than open!!

8)

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
[quote author=teknalee link=board=5;threadid=19924;start=0#msg153104 date=1058071869]
[/quote]
Just in case I end up hung up with one of the front tires off the ground, or in mud and for some reason the limited slip doesn't get the other side to pull like I want it to the locker will do the trick for sure! ;D

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
[/quote]

The LS is every bit as useful as a full locker if your hubs are unlocked. In fact, if you had a full floater rear with the hubs unlocked I bet you couldn't tell the difference between the LS or a locker, or even a spool! And if you leave your T-case in nuetral you could climb just as fast with a Briggs & Stratton under the hood as with a stroked Windsor.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Man, I can't believe there aren't more of them out there. I installed one of the first ones out for the D44. I'm running a 302, NP435, D20, D44 up front with the Electrac, 9" rear with Detroit locker and 36" Swamper SXs.

The Electrac is indredible! I've done about everything in Moab, several of the very difficult trails in Colorado, and never had a problem. Yes, it's a gear-driven LS when unlocked, which works great. I actually don't have to lock it very often, but it's instant when needed.

Oh yeah, I also installed Warn alloy shafts in the 44 at the same time.

If ya got any questions about the Electrac, let me know...