• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

did I break my new third member?

btimm

I bought a new yukon third set up with gears and a locker. I assume that they used a solid spacer vs. A crush sleve. So I torqued the yoke to 200ft-lbs. Now one of my tires is extremely hard to spin if I can at all. Probably a bad idea but I threw the bronco in drive and the it wouldn't move. I didn't try giving it much gas. But there was a pop sound when I put it in drive. Did I overtighten this thing and break something? I'm going to cry.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Hard to say if you did any major damage. I would now assume that there is a crush sleeve for the pinion bearings. Take the pinion support off and check the preload. If it's locked up, then get a solid spacer and adjust accordingly. Hopefully the pop was just the locker doing it's job. First, put it on stands, take off the driveshaft and see whats too tight.

OP
OP
btimm

btimm

I wouldn't think 200lb-ft could crush a crush sleeve.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Reading your specs. 37's, 5.13's and a 351w. You really should have a solid spacer in the rear. That combo your running will eventually crush a crush sleeve. Gobs of torque, low gearing, aired down 37's. Your pinion will slowly get looser. Starts with a leaky pinion seal.

OP
OP
btimm

btimm

I'm hoping the third members that JBG sells which i think are from randys ring and pinion have solid spacers. I don't think it would make sense for them to ship a third member with no yoke and not have the pinion preload already set.

For whatever reason one of my tires would spin and would rotate the pinion, the other tire was jammed. They both spun fine before i started installing my yoke and my brakes are adjusted all the way in

OP
OP
btimm

btimm

That she is.. Came in a nodular Yukon case too. Even with a crush sleeve, how the hell could one side be stuck and one side spin with a locker in between. The crush sleeve should only control the pinion bearing preload not the pinion depth. If the pinion were binding on the ring gear and the locker was ratcheting i could see that happening maybe.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
If the pinion is spinning while rotating one tire, then it seems the pinion preload is OK. Why is the other wheel bound up after tightening the yoke? Hmm. Maybe there's nothing wrong at all. Do you know how to test the operation of the locker, when it's up on jack stands?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
With the Bronco on stands, you'll need a helper. Have the helper hold the rear wheel firmly, while you rotate the other wheel forward. When the wheel your rotating stops, rotate it the other direction while the other wheel is being held firmly. It should spin freely in that opposite direction, making a slight clicking sound. Do the same test with the other wheel and then do both in the other direction.

Mark

Mark

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
I have the same third member from JBG and mine came with a solid spacer

OP
OP
btimm

btimm

Ok since it came with a solid spacer there is nothing I could have done to damage the rear end while trying to tighten the pinion nut? I put the truck up on stands this morning and tried spinning again. The drivers side spins relatively easy until a certain point, then I can only rotate it backwards. And the passenger side is stuck. Could my drums be warped or something?

ENDLIFE

I would highly advise making sure you have a spacer and shims or a crush sleeve, but that would involve pulling your pinion gear . If you have a crush sleeve, you may have over crushed the sleeve putting too much preload on the pinion bearings, and if you run your rear end with too much preload you will do damage.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Take the pinion support out and verify solid or not. Quick and easy 5 or is it six bolts and now you know. heck, no need to remove the pinion as it all comes out as one unit.

How "stuck" is it. You say the one tire rotates then "locks". Isn't that how a "locker works? I ask because I don't have one in my bronco.

Tim

OP
OP
btimm

btimm

JBG confirmed that the third member comes with a solid spacer. I would think that with the leverage of spinning a 37 inch tire would be relatively easy. I can barely move the passanger side. Maybe I'm just super frail-bod.

OP
OP
btimm

btimm

Its not possible to put the axle shafts on the wrong side is it? If you put the long side shaft on the short side, are the spiles machined such that the axle shaft could go too far into the carrier?

OP
OP
btimm

btimm

Pulled the wheels off and the drums slid right off, the shoes aren't even touching

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Loosen the axle retaining nuts and see if the axle is binding in the diff. No it isn't possible to put them in the wrong sides. It is possible that the axle is slightly too long though.