• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Differential question to save cash..

galen1970b

Im fixing to change my diff. ratios from 3.5? up to 4.11 or around there..(havent decided yet. The reason being is for the 35s ive got..I called up my local shop and they said theyed do it for around 1500 bucks parts and labor..I thought that was kinda high considering that the gearing at most would cost 350 at the most. When i asked that he said that the carrier has to be changed as well. I thought that the pinion just bolted right to the existing carrier and all i had to worry about was setting the backlash..Is this guy feeding me a line of crap..?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The D44 will need a new carrier. The 9" will not. $1500 doesn't seem particularly high to me, considering labor rates are higher in AK than anywhere else in the country.

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
The Ford 9 inch doesnt have a Carrier break so it doesnt have to be changed. Make sure you call out his BS on that. The D44 I dont know what the carrier break is on it. But If you do need to change the carrier you might as well buy some type of locker, especially for the money they want. Keep shopping around.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Just an FYI: I have a complete 4.10 3rd drop out for the 9 inch ... FMS HD rebuild kit installed for the LS.. extra clutch packs etc... all it needs is a pinion yoke and you can take that off the 3.5 you pull out... let me know if interested.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
If you are changing the 9" with limited slip and are planning to go with a locker you may need to change the carrier also.

elemetal

Loc.
Oakland, CA
Can't you run "thick cut" 4.11's on the D-44 small carrier (3.5-3.7)? I was counting on that for a future upgrade.

Amac70

ME
if you carry your third member in to a shop it shouldn't cost more then 200 in labor to change gears. Takes as long to pull the axles and third as it does to change the gears. on the front end labor is going to be spendy cause you have to work on it all while its in the truck. The carrier break on the d44 is in the 3.90 area don't know exact. but new open carrier is only 50 bucks. track lock is only 120. then after that it starts getting a little pricey for real lockers. 1500 seems a little steep but there making money on both labor and parts so its probally about average.

yes you can get thick cut gears for the 44 and avoid changing carriers altogether.

fire bronc

Loc.
iowa
Gears Front Rear

I Just Completed My 44 And 9" Rebuild. Parts To Completly Go Thru 44 Was 375.00 Thats For 4.30 Gears,new Trac Lok Ls Carrier,complete Rebuild Kit.axel Seals,all Wheel Bearings. 9" Was 475.00 Thats For Everthing Above, But I Went A Detroit Tru Trac In Rear.thats 850.00 For Parts And They Are Completly Rebuilt. Got All My Stuff From * Mike At Complete Offroad* He Great To Do Bussiness With And Has Great Prices. Labor Cost Me 100.00 For Both,as I Know A Firefighter At My Station Who Used To Rebuild Axels For A Living.

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

So If I have a Dana 30, would I still need to buy a new carrier for it?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
It's is possibe to save alot of $$ if you order parts from the lower SE states, and order the required tools as well. Icluding shipping you shou come out ahead, even when including the various metering/measuring tools.
If you can read a good manual and can have pasience with the setup tools.
It is not difficult to set up you gears as long as you read well, follow directions, and take your time.
There are more than enough members here to volunteer all you need to know.
If you're not comfotable with this then pay the piper. Having a clear workbench is key for this type of challenge, Any novice can di it with time and tools. Having good books should go without saying.

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

Cool thanks for the Info, The Hobby shop on base has a full range of tools, Lifts ect..plus my pops is a seasoned Maritime engineer(joined the royal navy when he was 14) and hes coming up this weekend. So I guess ill just get the gears I want plus a carrier for the D30, and a overhaul kit for both ends while im at it..

tburke

Loc.
Siler City NC
Amac70 said:
if you carry your third member in to a shop it shouldn't cost more then 200 in labor to change gears. Takes as long to pull the axles and third as it does to change the gears. on the front end labor is going to be spendy cause you have to work on it all while its in the truck. The carrier break on the d44 is in the 3.90 area don't know exact. but new open carrier is only 50 bucks. track lock is only 120. then after that it starts getting a little pricey for real lockers. 1500 seems a little steep but there making money on both labor and parts so its probally about average.

yes you can get thick cut gears for the 44 and avoid changing carriers altogether.
I am going to change the gears in my front D44 this spring. Where can you get a open carrier for 4.88 gears? Or who would be the cheapest to get a trak lock from($120)? Any help would be appreciated.
PS. I will try "Mike at Complete Offroad"