• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Done with my fitech, advise on carburetor.

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
I have a slightly modified 351w, 300hp and torque ~350 atk crate motor. I have a fitech tbi fuel injecton sitting on top. I have replaced 3 injectors in the last 3 years, all stuck open. It looks like I'm going on my 4th. I wanted more reliability, response, and bit modern, but...........I going back to a carb. ATK's recommend carb is Quick Fuel 680cfm vacuum secondary electric choke #793-HR-680-VS. Wanted some input on their recommendation and some other possible alternatives. Not off roading, mostly a highway queen.

Edit: does anyone have experience with the quick fuel also?

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Holley 600 is one of my favorites

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I just went from FiTech to Holley Sniper. Same issues you had and I couldn't find anyone to work on it in my area.

The jury is still out on the Sniper. The controller is better, and running pretty well overall right now but I've had a lot of RFI issues. Additionally, you have to be very selective about your air cleaner set up under a factory hood.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Quadrajet if sticking with a 4 barrel. Gave up on the Edlebrock, couldn't be happier with the qjet off-road or on road. Been on the bronco for almost 10y iirc.

BigBronco16

Been running the Summit 8500 for several years now. Easy tune and always starts with a touch of the key. Believe they make a 600 or even bigger.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Check out the 100 other threads on carbs on THIS site.

Qjet. Best throttle response. Why? The primaries are small so air/fuel velocity is increased.

Float design- your carb won't bog over bumps and painted white lines like the Holley will. This is why hte Qjet is the best off road carb there is. I've been doing this a long time. :)

Mileage- smaller primaries when you keep out of the secondaries means and really does equal better mileage.

Qjet. Most of us from the '70's, 80's, 90's and the last 20+ years have all tried the Holley's, Edelbrocks, Carters, U-name it carbs. Read up on them- well worth it. Okie said it right.

Last edited:

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
my 76 bronco 5.0 runs perfect with a new 500 CFM Edelbrock throttle response is great. No hesitation starts soon as you hit the key. But my 77 bronco 302 original engine rebuilt ,
New 500 CFM Edelbrock not so good

EB70

Check out the 100 other threads on carbs on THIS site.

Qjet. Best throttle response. Why? The primaries are small so air/fuel velocity is increased.

Float design- your carb won't bog over bumps and painted white lines like the Holley will. This is why hte Qjet is the best off road carb there is. I've been doing this a long time. :)

Mileage- smaller primaries when you keep out of the secondaries means and really does equal better mileage.

Qjet. Most of us from the '70's, 80's, 90's and the last 20+ years have all tried the Holley's, Edelbrocks, Carters, U-name it carbs. Read up on them- well worth it. Okie said it right.
I am guessing that a properly set up and driven Q jet will surpass the factory 2-barrel for MPG etc. if driven correctly? My next build I am going to run the Q jet.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dump the whole Electronically controlled Carbs thing, they are not EFI.. Go with Edelbrock PRO-FLO4 thats what I did a year ago...

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Holley 600 is one of my favorites
That's what I am running on my 351w. Carburetors isn't my thing but I slapped it on, plumbed it up, It fired up, adjust curb idle screw, and I've been running it for the last 10 years. I guess even a blind squirrel gets an acorn once in a while.

JSBX

Contributor
I have a mild built 351 W with about the same HP as yours and really like my Q Jet.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
That's what I am running on my 351w. Carburetors isn't my thing but I slapped it on, plumbed it up, It fired up, adjust curb idle screw, and I've been running it for the last 10 years. I guess even a blind squirrel gets an acorn once in a while.
Think there's something to be said about Holly success at sea level or close to sea level like you and Bax are? I know that can all be adjusted for but they're just pretty much cussed around here in all aspects, we're only about 1700'.

omureebe

While I like my FiTech, going through a number of both FiTech and my own problems w/ installation, either Ford EFI or that Edelbrock setup look pretty good. But like any product, outside of OEM, good luck on finding support in 5 years.

PS - stuck injectors.... usually grit holding them open and improved fuel filters help with that.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Hands down, the best carb I ever used on my Bronco was a Q-jet. But I’m running SEFI/EDIS now, and wouldn’t even dream of going back to a carb unless it was apocalypse time lol.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another Qjet fan here. I tried the Holley Sniper when it first came out and after chasing RF interference issues among other things for months, I went back to my trusty Qjet. If I were to try EFI again it will be ProFlo.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If it has to be a carb, Q-jet is a really good choice. Like EFI, done correctly they run great. Or can be a basket case.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Like nvrstuk said. Been thru the other carb options. Both broncos been running q-jets for years. If you go q-jet I would recommend a quality one from a reputable builder. I run the stage 2 from jet performance.