• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door stuck closed

TTownEP

Hey guys, I know people have asked this question before, but I found the results didn’t apply to my situation.

I can’t open my passenger door from the inside or outside. The panel is off, and I can see that the linkages are intact, and they at least partially move the latch mechanism.

Any ideas how to get this open so I can take it out and repair it?

Video attached.

https://youtu.be/vxfGRf_JTaQ

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Oh boy. Did it ever open? Follow the door lock rod down from the lock knob and pull it all the way up manually to be sure it is unlocked. It looks like it is because the latch is trying to work. Then I would follow the release rod from the inner door handle over to the latch and then manually actuate the latch to get a full throw. It looks like in the video it only moves about half the travel.

Also while actuating the latch pry up and down the rear of the door (try to do it from the inside rear to minimize any impact on paint). If the door post or hinges are shot the sag could cause the latch to bind and not release.

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

Oh boy. Did it ever open? Follow the door lock rod down from the lock knob and pull it all the way up manually to be sure it is unlocked. It looks like it is because the latch is trying to work. Then I would follow the release rod from the inner door handle over to the latch and then manually actuate the latch to get a full throw. It looks like in the video it only moves about half the travel.

Also while actuating the latch pry up and down the rear of the door (try to do it from the inside rear to minimize any impact on paint). If the door post or hinges are shot the sag could cause the latch to bind and not release.

I have reached over there where the linkages connect to see if perhaps it just had some play in it and wasn’t actuating all the way, but I think it’s engaged as far as it will go. It’s as far as my finger meat pain tolerance will allow, at any rate.

It moves as far as I feel like it needs to, I just don’t really feel that *click* I’d like to feel when it releases.

I’m thinking I’ll spray it down with some brake cleaner, let it dry, lube it up again and see what happens.

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

Gotta get it going before BSC, or my buddy will have to get in Dukes of Hazzard style. Not so easy with a lift and 33s.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Try "unlocking" it by hand.
I know that your knob looks like it's up, but the lock lever on the latch in the video looks at least partially down.
I'm guessing that will all your manhandling of things inside the door, you probably have moved it up and down a time or three already. But I wanted to mention it in case that has not happened yet.

It's nice when you have a working one in your hand to see just what's supposed to happen, but maybe someone that has one themselves can chime in so you don't have to buy one just to check it!
Although, at this point yours might actually be buggered. Shame to spend money without knowing though. Usually a stuck one is fixable before it has to be replaced.
But then again, normally a buggered one can be opened by hand too!

Good luck. I'm going to watch the vid again to see if anything stands out.

Paul

PaveBronco

Not sure if this comes through but like what Paul said looks locked.

Attachments

• DoorLatch11.jpg
    DoorLatch11.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

I think it was all this 46-year old grease. I went out and sprayed it down with brake cleaner during the course of the day, and sure enough, the lock popped up and it opened. Got it in the parts cleaner and I’m going to spray it with dry graphite and lube it up.
43f3b8ce42a60502970a26c2786df4eb.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Excellent! And yeah, a parts dip is a lot more effective than relying on just a spray. So yours is cleaned up really nice.
Before lubing it though, I would inspect all the mating surfaces. Like in the lower pic PaveBronco supplied, you can see where there is an indentation worn into the mechanism over time.
I've had to straighten up slightly tweaked plates that were not engaging properly too. This made a huge difference in how the latch worked. Previous to re-tweaking that one plate, the door would jam up more often than not. At that point you could not open it until it decided it wanted to open!

Good luck. Looks like you've got the main problem licked.

Paul

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

Yeah the spray was just to get it loosened up enough to open. Can’t get anywhere with the door stuck closed.

Ended up cleaning and lubing the push button in the handle too.

PaveBronco

Yep, pulled mine because ran out of stroke before the release happened (story of my life). Welded the bottom of the slider and bent the top as per the WH video.

Attachments

• DoorLatch 2.jpg
    DoorLatch 2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 25