• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drilling gauge holes in new dash

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
What is everyones recommendation on the best tool for cutting the circular holes in a new dash for the key hole and other gauges?

In the past when I have used a hole saw on dashes it seems to really do some ripping. Not much finesse to them.

Also, the factory dash had a concave surface for the key hole. How do you recreate that on a new dash?

Thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For the specality holes (like ignition) I cut the hole out of the old dash and welded into the blank.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
A few things for I have seen mentioned for that are Greenlee hole punches electricians use and water jet cutting.

Greenlee punches are not the size they are labeled, just like a lumber 2x4 is not 2 inches by 4 inches.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I use the rotobroach cutters. There are a few different names for them. They require a 1/8th inch pilot hole and do a really nice job, just go easy. They have standard size increments and only go to up around 1 inch, maybe a little larger. I believe the larger ones use a 1/4 inch pilot. Ken

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Sandwich the dash in between two pieces or wood or thin metal (like aluminum). Use some clamps near your cutting area and press all together. Line up all your pilot holes and drill away. I’d recommend using brand new metal cutting hole saws from Lowe’s or HD. A drill press is a big help as well.

Broncomt

Go shopping for high end hole saws, might be HF type. Cost more but a much much better hole in the dash.

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
DO NOT use the harbor freight hole punch. Cant punch through metal half as thick as the dash.

AZ73

Bronco Guru
Hey,

Do you have any photos of the finished product? I would especially like to see the "push button" ignition start. Actually, I would like to hear how that modification can be done.....cause I might like to add that to a new dash I'm planning.

I have a bad picture from my phone and I don't think the Push button was fully installed as it's centered now that it's finished. I'll take a better picture when I get home. I investigated several companies and narrowed it down to Advanced Keys, DigitalGuardDawg and Gallotech. After speaking with them all I liked the Gallotech system and went with them. They were very familiar with Broncos and sold lots to other owners, and I found their customer service to be great. The button sticks to the dash and a wire comes through a small 1/2" hole and runs to a box that controls everything about the size of maybe 2 packs of cigarettes. To get the door lock/window you have to buy the kit that does trunk and some other things, but I just tied those wires off.

I used a step drill bit to do the turn signal lights, bright light indicator, brake warning, and push button key.

https://www.gallotech.com/Keyless-Push-Button-Start-Security-Systems/GTStarter3.php

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 73

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a bad picture from my phone and I don't think the Push button was fully installed as it's centered now that it's finished. I'll take a better picture when I get home. I investigated several companies and narrowed it down to Advanced Keys, DigitalGuardDawg and Gallotech. After speaking with them all I liked the Gallotech system and went with them. They were very familiar with Broncos and sold lots to other owners, and I found their customer service to be great. The button sticks to the dash and a wire comes through a small 1/2" hole and runs to a box that controls everything about the size of maybe 2 packs of cigarettes. To get the door lock/window you have to buy the kit that does trunk and some other things, but I just tied those wires off.

https://www.gallotech.com/Keyless-Push-Button-Start-Security-Systems/GTStarter3.php

I can see why. That Gallotech system is $250 cheaper than the DigitalGuardDawg.

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
I used an adjustable hole saw similar to this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable...904943&hash=item4d745d79ad:g:XKYAAOSw4RZbCNgH

went slow and easy and lots of cutting oil. It was pretty much shot after 6 holes but got it done.

AZ73, looks like great minds think alike! ;)
You can resharpen the cutter in that bit many times. Use a diamond stone. Slow with lots of cutting oil, drill press and patience.
For Smaller holes the Blair rotabroaches work really well, Amazon has 2-3 sets, one with larger holes. Great for heater hose, AC and electrical wiring holes. They hold onto their sharpness a long long time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Find somebody with a greenlee ko set. As long as the dies are good it's a perfect clean hole. You can buy a manual one that works like a ps pulley tool with a bolt bearing and a die. The manual ones come up to 2".

AZ73

Bronco Guru

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-0530.jpg
    IMG-0530.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-0529.jpg
    IMG-0529.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 15