• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

drivetrain swap for an early bronco

jasonbradmorris

Loc.
Wynne, AR
how much time, aggravation, money am I looking at to put a fuel injected 302 motor, a 4 speed with overdrive transmission, and the required work and components to go along with doing such a swap? I am not a mechanic, so I would have to pay someone to do anything that involves pulling out anything or cutting anything.

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
how much ..... money am I looking at

I am not a mechanic, so I would have to pay someone to do anything that involves pulling out anything or cutting anything.

Money to have the work jobbed out? Lots. I don't consider myself a mechanic at all, and have been gradually working up to larger and larger projects with the generous help and guidance from the guys here.

If your mechanically inclined at all I'd at least look into what is involved for your mods and see if it's not something you could tackle yourself. It will be a lot cheaper, but could possibly take longer. I don't know though, I've seen shops take forever to do a simple job so who knows you might could match their time even with learning in the process.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Like Airmapper said give it a shot yourself. If you have even the slightest bit of common sense you can get it done. Now if you just don't wanna turn the wrench then it iwll COST you! :eek:

My personal guess would be around 1200 - 1500 for the EFI and the five speed depends on what route you choose to go. There are a few different options out there.

The price for the EFI could be less or more just depends how lucky/good you are a tracking stuff down. If you wanna have any chance of doing this on your own then I would invest in the RJM Harness and not try and modify a factory harness to work.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to go in! ;D

hammer

Bronco Guru
Donor MAF 5.0L with computer - $500
used ZF - $500
clutch master - $20 used to $110 new
clutch line - $50
new Slave cylinder - $75-$190
zf cross member - $120
50 oz flywheel - $100
RJM Harness - $500
Cross over tube - $50

np205 with twin sticks - $370 or advance adapters kit for d20 - $380

Driveshaft and/or yoke mods - $400

Bare minimum your looking at $2800 if you do it yourself. Add an easy 20% to that for all the little shit you'll have to buy, paint, shrink tubing, hoses etc. Probably upwards of $6000 with labor. If you want the engine, tranny and tcase rebuild with new gaskets and seals then tack that on as well. New clutch while your at it? Add it on.....

rwill

Assuming Hammers price are in the ball park. MY rule of thumb is whatever whatever the parts cost figure that amount to install,so $6-7k looks about right.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
This isn't a typical "repair shop" type of work. For the most part all they do is diagnos problems and change parts out with the exact same thing as what was in it. You will need a "fab shop" that is accustomed to having to fabricate the little parts that fill in the gaps.

Few thousand for the parts, and about the same for install. Not cheap.

OP
OP
J

jasonbradmorris

Loc.
Wynne, AR
Thanks guys. I appreciate the quick response. I made mention that I would like a 5 speed tranny. I think that I would rather have the 4 speed with overdrive option. Would pulling the major components from a 96 bronco with the 302 even be a feasible idea? I don't mind paying someone to work on my rig, if they can do the job and make it reliable afterwords. The problem is that I no longer have a place to do all of this work that you guys made mention of. I live in a community that had TERRIBLE restrictive covenants about fixing your vehicle in sight of the neighbors.