• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drivetrain

Truth bbq

Can anyone recommend a company in the Houston Texas area that could install a new drivetrain on a 1968 bronco. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey there. Welcome aboard. What exactly do you mean by drivetrain?
Are you talking about just the driveshaft? Or everything including front and rear axles, driveshaft, transfer case and transmission? Maybe even the engine and suspension too?
I’m not in the area so I don’t have a recommendation, but I imagine a few more details will help those that are to narrow down the field.

OP
OP
T

Truth bbq

Hey there. Welcome aboard. What exactly do you mean by drivetrain?
Are you talking about just the driveshaft? Or everything including front and rear axles, driveshaft, transfer case and transmission? Maybe even the engine and suspension too?
I’m not in the area so I don’t have a recommendation, but I imagine a few more details will help those that are to narrow down the field.

Sorry about that I’d like to replace everything and suspension. Thank you

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, that narrows it down a bit then. You’ll need a fairly custom oriented shop rather than a standard shop that does general work. Even if they know what they’re doing with older vehicles, they may, or may not take on a job like that.
Do you have all the stuff, or plan to? Or do you want the shop to source all the stuff for you?

OP
OP
T

Truth bbq

Well, that narrows it down a bit then. You’ll need a fairly custom oriented shop rather than a standard shop that does general work. Even if they know what they’re doing with older vehicles, they may, or may not take on a job like that.
Do you have all the stuff, or plan to? Or do you want the shop to source all the stuff for you?

What would be best to have items or let a shop source it out

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Everything and suspension! On a 68 bronco, in Houston Texas. Oh Heck get Baja Chuck to do it. He is wizz at everything, and suspension.

bsquared

Contributor
Can anyone recommend a company in the Houston Texas area that could install a new drivetrain on a 1968 bronco. Thank you

Cruz - N - Cars down in Pearland has a good reputation for being honest and friendly. I have not used them myself, but I'm sure they could do you a good job.

https://www.cruz-n-carz.com/

If you're replacing your current drive train, the '96 to 2000 Explorer swap is a popular choice. You could just carb it for the time being. ZF-5 speed transmission is also a nice option. I upgraded to the full Ford EFI a few years back. Good luck, B2

Attachments

• EngineTrans.jpg
    EngineTrans.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 4EngineBay.jpg
    4EngineBay.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7128.JPG
    IMG_7128.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
T

Truth bbq

Cruz - N - Cars down in Pearland has a good reputation for being honest and friendly. I have not used them myself, but I'm sure they could do you a good job.

https://www.cruz-n-carz.com/

If you're replacing your current drive train, the '96 to 2000 Explorer swap is a popular choice. You could just carb it for the time being. ZF-5 speed transmission is also a nice option. I upgraded to the full Ford EFI a few years back. Good luck, B2

I really appreciate that. Thank you very much.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1968 bronco
I think what .94 OR meant was what aspect of your 68 bronco are you trying to improve? Do you need to replace all of that stuff because it’s broken? Because it’s not powerful enough or modern enough?
Are you trying to put better stuff underneath? What is wrong with it?

I think that was what was meant by the question.

OP
OP
T

Truth bbq

I think what .94 OR meant was what aspect of your 68 bronco are you trying to improve? Do you need to replace all of that stuff because it’s broken? Because it’s not powerful enough or modern enough?
Are you trying to put better stuff underneath? What is wrong with it?

I think that was what was meant by the question.

It’s for my wife and I so I’d like to improve it so there’s no worries. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, gotcha.
So better brakes, better shocks, better engine.
Although the engines and transmissions never gave us any trouble back when these things are new, seems like the more new stuff gets put on our old broncos simply makes more stuff to break or fail.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we took a poll and found out that people have more trouble with all of their “improved“ Broncos than with old stock originals.
That doesn’t mean that the brakes were great, or the suspensions didn’t ride, like stagecoaches, or that they were stone reliable to begin with. But they were I think back in the day because the parts themselves were made better.
You could put all the brand new parts on them these days that you can afford, and every one of them is a new potential failure point, because the new parts are a crapshoot.
New fuel pumps and starter relay/solenoids are among the worst. Right up there with ignition control module’s, fuel injection computers, points and condensers, and anything else you care to name that is a part that could leave you stranded.
Or in this case your wife.

So I think we understand where you’re coming from, but I think you should have realistic expectations.
Sounds like a 5.0 Coyote, Blueprint Engines crate 302, or even a GM LS series engine and compatible transmission are in your future.
Specialized swap knowledge would be a bonus for whatever shop you have work on it.
The suspensions and brakes are generally fairly simple and are using the same basic components we’ve been using for years. I’m just not sure which direction equates to the most reliable.
Others will know, however. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Truth bbq

OK, gotcha.
Although the engines and transmissions never gave us any trouble back when these things are new, seems like the more new stuff gets put on our old broncos simply makes more stuff to break or fail.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we took a poll and found out that people have more trouble with all of their “improved“ Broncos than with old stock originals.
That doesn’t mean that the brakes were great, or the suspensions didn’t ride, like stagecoaches, or that they were stone reliable to begin with. But they were I think back in the day because the parts themselves were made better.
You could put all the brand new parts on them these days that you can afford, and every one of them is a new potential failure point, because the new parts are a crapshoot.
New fuel pumps and starter relay/solenoids are among the worst. Right up there with ignition control module’s, fuel injection computers, points and condensers, and anything else you care to name that is a part that could leave you stranded.

So I think we understand where you’re coming from, but I think you should have realistic expectations.
Sounds like a 5.0 Coyote, Blueprint Engines crate 302, or even a GM LS series engine and compatible transmission are in your future.
Specialized swap knowledge would be a bonus for whatever shop you have work on it.
The suspensions and brakes are generally fairly simple and are using the same basic components we’ve been using for years. I’m just not sure which direction equates to the most reliable.

I appreciate it sir I’m definitely about saving money, so whatever or any direction that you guys know I have definitely not been doing this for a while So all help is greatly appreciated

OP
OP
T

Truth bbq

I appreciate it sir I’m definitely about saving money, so whatever or any direction that you guys know I have definitely not been doing this for a while So all help is greatly appreciated

I appreciate that i choose the path of least resistance and with the better out come. Thank you I’ll be reaching back out to you if you don’t mind sir

Broncobowsher

Total hack
From how this is going, I'm going to say you really don't know what you want. That's a problem. Very easy for an shop to put in what they want, but that may not be a match for you.

This is where Bronco specialty shops are worth it. When you want a Bronco specific job done right, you hit up a Bronco specific shop. Many shops will work on anything and everything. But when a shop that just finished a disk brake conversion on a Mustang is asked to fix a caster angle issue on a lifted Bronco, but not screw up the pinion angle. Now we are talking a Bronco specialty shop. A place that knows what it takes to actually fix all the parts of a Bronco to work together. Easy for many shops to figure how to fix one thing and not have a good understanding of how that one change affects other systems. It's easy to throw in some caster bushings to get caster in a Bronco front axle, but that alone can screw up the pinion angle. A Bronco shop will know about a cut and turn fix. That's just one of the special things a real Bronco shop will know about that a general custom shop will never know about. You can tell them to do it, but at that point you already know more than they do, You need a Bronco shop that knows this stuff for you. Go to BC Broncos.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
When I hear “ it’s for my wife “ I get a bit worried. Don’t anyone take that the wrong way. Does she drive it now ? What doesn’t she like about it? Does she not feel safe driving it? Has she ever driven a EB before? Is it all stock ? An EB set on 35s is going to drive very different than on 30s.
If it’s stock then good shocks and bushings are a start . If it’s for her to drive set it up for her . I have a 74 , 35s . Drives great for me but my wife doesn’t drive it. Now she has a 22 Bad Lands manual and drives it better than me. My take is after all the work and money you put into an EB , it’s still a 45 year old truck.

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

yeah, good to know specifics

OP
OP
T

Truth bbq

OK, gotcha.

I have a question if I were to just start with the kincer chassis, for example, and then a body from another company how would that car be titled?