• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driving home and it just quit, turn the key and nothing...no crank, no click, nada

N2Baja

Hello Everyone,

I did a search first, but didn't find any post that mirrored the issues I'm having.

While driving home this evening, going about 40mph and the engine did kind of a lurch or sputter and then just quit. There was a strong smell of fuel as I coasted to the side of the road, but it went away pretty quick.

When I turn the key I get nothing. It doesn't crank, no clicking sound, I have no lights, nothing.

I bought a mini-starter last week and just had it installed by a friend. It started right up, and was running fine until it died.

Any ideas or suggestions on what may be the issue? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Melanie

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Check of a fuseable link near the solenoid. Als make sure your battery cables are in good shape and all connections are clean.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Sounds like the starter cable burnt in two. If your buddy left it touching a header then this is prolly the case

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
My experience has been alt/battery cables as previously stated. Ive also had that same thing happen with a bad battery

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My vote would be dead battery, at least until we get more information. How old is your battery?

OP
OP
N2Baja

N2Baja

Thanks for the info guys! I'll have him check the cables and connections, and I hope the starter cable didn't burn in two, that would be a bummer. The battery is new, and it started right up when i left. I'd only gone about two miles.....thankfully!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Shouldn't be able to kill a battery that quickly without a big electrical fire. I'm voting on a loose connection.

OP
OP
N2Baja

N2Baja

Crush nailed it. The battery cable was up against the header and had gotten burned, though not in two. So, a quick trip to the neighborhood parts store, got a new, and slightly longer cable, and I'm a happy camper.

Thank you so much!! You're all such a valuable resource to someone like me!!

Melanie :)

OP
OP
N2Baja

N2Baja

I've had the burnt cable tastefully mounted onto a plaque -with words commending you and thanking you for selflessly giving insight and wisdom to Bronco drivers worldwide. which you can proudly display in your workshop, home or office.

Expect delivery in 6 - 8 weeks.;)